How Do You Stop Dreaming?

Discussion in 'Dreams & Interpretations' started by Lon Tanner, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I dream every night and it interferes with my sleep. No nightmare just what I would call Current Event Dreams. I try to stop dreaming but can't.

2. Rene Descartes

Rene Descartes Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hormone changes in early pregnancy can cause dreaming. You might be pregnant. :)

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I used to have what I called "racing brain". It wasn't really a dream, but just my brain refusing to turn off. It is where I really learned to listen to Talk Radio, as it would slow down my thoughts and allow me to think. Once I got to sleep, the thoughts didn't awaken me. Music radio just didn't do the job--in fact, it made the problem worse. The problem seems to have subsided as I grow older.

4. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Perhaps it's a good discussion to have with your doctor. Some medications can cause dreams that are too vivid. It's good and even fun to dream, but not if it interferes with getting a restful sleep cycle.

5. Eileen Barnes

Eileen Barnes Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hi Lon, When I have a lot on my mind, I write in a journal and it helps me. Eileen

6. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Does it help you sleep? I really don't have a lot on my mind to write in a journal. I dream about current events

I researched a couple of drugs that I take and dreams can be a side effect. I will talk to my doctor about this next week.

7. Eileen Barnes

Registered

Yes, it may be your meds.
    Good to get it checked out. Eileen

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bess Barber
    Yeah, tell me about it! Trouble is, when I am lucky enough to experience one of those "fun" events, I always wake up before finishing what has started! ;)
    Frank

9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Lon Tanner - unless your having Earth shattering nightmares that affect you... asleep or not.... your suppose to dream.
    If you try to alter that normal process - you might start having other issues.

Maggie Rose and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Emma Smith

Emma Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

I seldom remember dreams, but a few days ago, I woke up and had been dreaming about cartoons.

When I was expecting my first child, I would dream that I needed to wake up, then dream that I had gotten up, then realize I was still in bed, over and over. It was unpleasant.

Bess Barber and Frank Sanoica like this.
  11. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm afraid I'm plagued with very vivid nightmares, almost every single night!! I wish I knew how to get a good night's sleep, but nothing that's been recommended works!!

I always remember my dreams..

Last night involved my estranged very wayward sister!!

Bess Barber and Don Alaska like this.
  12. Eileen Barnes

Registered

I have a belief that if we forgive ourselves and others for being imperfect humans, we do better.

Emma Smith likes this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Start a journal and each morning try to enter into the journal what you dreamt. Even if it’s small bits and pieces, give it a try.
    Doing so is actually the first step in learning how to control what you dream.

At one point in my life I HAD to learn controlled dreaming in order to maintain some semblance of sanity and now I can pretty much opt out of a dream if I find myself in a bad situation or even tell myself what I wish to dream about shortly before I go to sleep.
    It’s natural to dream and it allows the brain to sort of defrag for a time but the filing process can be controlled, with myself directing traffic so to speak. I can allow things to go as they are or mask the events, let them proceed with caution or stop them completely. That said, if an event becomes too forceful and I cannot control it, I tell myself to get out of the event(s) and wake up. It’s a lot different than being awakened by something externally foreign in that in a controlled dream, I am in touch with everything going on and I can tell myself when to awaken or to proceed onward with the sleep cycle.

Just a note: Pharm induced dreaming can be stressful all by itself because pharmaceuticals seem to make everything either more confusing or more vivid, the key word being “more”, but that too can be beaten if one has learned how to be in control.

Bess Barber and Don Alaska like this.
  14. Eileen Barnes

Registered

Hi Lon, How was your sleep last night? Did you dream?
    Did you feel the tremors from the earthquake yesterday? It’s a very hot day again?
    I imagine your heat is a dry heat. Enjoy your day. Eileen

Don Alaska likes this.
  15. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Most terrifying dream I ever had, I dreamed I had just awoken from sleep, looked over at my wife lying next to me, when she suddenly sat up as a monster might in a horror movie, her eyes glowing bright green, teeth showing like an animal! I know I was scared as hell, even in the dream, then awoke shaking, looked over at her for real, and everything was normal, but you can guess what I was fearing.......

Frank