How Do You Manage Your Prescription Meds?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I will be taking a couple of drugs for the rest of my life which is no big deal in addition to RX that is taken periodically. I find the whole process of ordering and managing RX to be very irritating and time consuming.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I tried having mine sent to me when we had Cigna Healthsprings, and it was a total NIGHTMARE for me ! They would call and leave me an automated message that I needed a prescription refilled, and a number to call back. Then, when I called back, I got another automated message asking me for the number for the prescription I needed refilled. Since they hadn’t given me any information on the first call, and most of my meds came due about the same time, I never had any idea which one they were actually calling about, and then I just cancelled the whole service.
    Most of my meds came from the Heart Center, so I just picked them up every three months from the Heart Center Pharmacy, and if I wasn’t in for an appointment, I just called the pharmacy, and they sent the meds out to me.
    Once Bobby and I started doing to the Wellness Center to exercise and swim almost every day, we started getting our prescriptions filled there, and it is still from the Huntsville Hospital Pharmacy (just like the Heart Center Pharmacy is).
    This makes everything so easy !
    We just call in any refills, and then pick them up when we are there for our regular exercise visit at the Wellness Center.
    After the nightmare of Cigna, I would NEVER ever use a mail in pharmacy again .

Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I just go to Walgreens ...it's super close and they know me since Ive been going there since it was built about 13.yrs ago.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I don't think I'd like ordering online and getting them by mail.

One...I don't know when I'll be gone and with the heat in Fresno I don't want my eye drops sitting in a 150 degree mailbox for any length of time.

Too many things to go wrong with online orders especially if you rely on a med....no thanks!

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Since I no longer have a thyroid, I will be taking Levothyroxine for the rest of my life. Since I quit taking statins, that's the only drug that I am taking. It seems that I should be able to get a couple of month's worth at a time since it's not like it's an abusable drug or that I won't be needing it, yet I can only get it one month at a time.

Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I can get three month supply at one time @Ken Anderson....and I do.

If for some reason my dosage changes...no big deal...it's not expensive.

7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Lon Tanner I take only one regularly, for BP. The Dr. faxes the scrip to our Smith's (Kroger) store, usually writing it for 4 ninety days supplies. They do not call to remind of refilling. However, I refill by calling in, their computer tells me when it will be ready, and I pick it up. Same goes for my wife's two scrips. The insurance contribution is always figured-in by Smith's. Our costs are pretty tame, 90 days of mine under ten bucks.
    Frank

8. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

My maintenance drugs come from a mailorder pharmacy offered through my insurance company.

The mailorder pharmacy deals with my PCP on prescription renewals.

I get an email from the mailorder pharmacy when they ship an order notifying me that they have billed my credit card.

I still use a local pharmacy for one-off prescriptions.

9. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I get all of mine from a local pharmacy. I could save a few dollars by ordering them online but I prefer to spend my money locally.

10. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't manage my 2 meds at all...my Pharmacy does all that!

It lets me know when I can pick up my next refill, and also lets my Doc know when to write a new prescription.

Hal

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I get all of my prescription meds mailed to me from the VA thru my online Portal. I've been doing that for some 5 years now. There has been twice where another apartment got a prescription of mine that was delivered by a relief mail man. Our regular mail man found out which apartment the meds went to, but tried twice to get someone to answer the door and nobody would. I called the VA and done what they told me to do...…...follow-up with the post office and our regular mail man, but at the end, the VA sent me a replacement med and I got it. I don't want to drive downtown each time I need a med, so I just continue ordering thru my Portal.

12. Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae Veteran Member
    Registered

Mine are mailed to me. I get an email indicating it's time to re-order and I love that because it's always about 2 weeks before I am out of my meds. I always get them in plenty of time. They generate another email letting me know it has shipped and a tracking number. My husband has his mailed through the VA. We must go online and hit re-order but we find it the mailing of meds to be very efficient for us. If we traveled a lot that might be a different story though.