How Do You Feel When There Is No Ending?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Babs Hunt, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I was so excited when I bought the complete DVD series of the "Legacy" a couple of weeks ago. The last two days I watched the complete series...only to discover this series has no ending...because this was a TV series that wasn't renewed and they didn't make an ending to it! It isn't even based on a Novel, etc. so I can't go check out the Novel and see how it all plays out. I really do not like it when something like this happens. Have you ever had this experience...if so how do you feel about not "knowing the rest of the story?"

Legacy.jpg

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I hate it when that happens, and it makes me angry that any series would be produced without at least giving them a chance to wrap it up before being cancelled. Legacy seems like the type of series that I'd like too.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, hate it and also hate when you're watching a movie waiting for the end and the credits start rolling and you're wondering what happened? Did I miss the ending? I guess you're supposed to figure out the ending yourself.

4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legacy_(TV_series)

According to this article it was probably canceled because it was airing on Friday nights which was a low viewer night. But I feel it should have had a wrap up ending to it too...instead of just leaving it hanging like they did. Most series like this one are based on a Novel but since this one wasn't I guess I will have to write my own ending in my mind. :)

5. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Babs Hunt , I agree it's rotten when that happens, and I hate it when a book leaves you with no ending as well. You end up hoping there will be a sequel, and that seems to be happening more and more. I gotten to where I look to see if it is a series or not before I start reading.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  6. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Certainly when a series is cut before it's reached a natural conclusion is very bad practice, but I feel feature movies which leave you to make up your own mind about the ending, are appropriate in some cases and are more like real life, where there aren't always clear conclusions.

I know of several European movies where the had to shoot an alternative for the American market, where it seems the general population prefer happy endings or at least tidy ones?

7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

One of the frightening Sci-Fi movies I saw as a kid ended with the final scene being a re-enactment of the opening scene, a young boy is awakened during a violent storm, goes to his bedroom window, and sees an eerie flying saucer settle behind the hill. The rest of the movie, very frightening in itself, followed, with the final scene altered to show the boy screaming in fright, his parents enter, and assure him he had a bad dream; convinced, he snuggles back in bed, his folks leave the room, and as the boy dozes off, he is suddenly awakened, returns to the window, and sees the saucer landing!

The ending was worded "THE END ?"

The inference of dream becoming reality frightened the wits out of me. The movie was "Invaders From Mars".

8. Ken Anderson

I remember that one.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  9. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

You are younger than I, I think, and I commend you for such recollective power! I think that one showed in 1953, when I was 11. My midnight screeching awakening from nightmares resulting from seeing the flick no doubt upset my parents. They were foregiving, and accepting, of the rigors of having a kid born a bit late in their marriage.....

10. Linda Binning

Linda Binning Veteran Member
    Registered

I hate it when that happens too. The series Dead Like Me wasn't renewed after 3 seasons (I think it was 3) so they decided to make a movie to tie up lose ends and all it did was leave you with a horrible feeling of "What the heck??". It was one of the worse movies I've ever seen and it just sort of ruined the whole series.

I also hate movies that don't end, they just stop. Very unsatisfying. If I wanted to make up my own ending I'd sit in a chair and make up the whole darn movie in my head!

Von Jones, Ruby Begonia and Babs Hunt like this.
  11. Ken Anderson

It would have already been an old movie when I saw it.

12. Bobby Gnomy

Bobby Gnomy Veteran Member
    Registered

When a series is cancelled before a proper ending it is upsetting. I also find when a series ends without a CLEAR understanding on whether the main character has died or not is something I don't enjoy. I recently watched all seasons of Nurse Jackie on Netflix. Yes, she overdoses at the end, but did she live or not? I know a series can't go on forever. In fact, many series should have ended before the final season. But, I like neat and tidy endings!

Ina I. Wonder and Ruby Begonia like this.
  13. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

I was very frustrated by the ending of The Sopranos.
    When the screen went black, my friends and I thought the cable went out or the TV had broken, just like millions of other Americans did.

14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

One series that we really enjoyed was called "Life on Mars", which seemed like an odd name, since the show had nothing to do with Mars at all.
    It was about a police detective who would go back in time into the 1970's , when he was actually a little boy, but he is himself as an adult on his trips back. He bounces back and forth from the present to the 70's and solves crimes in both timeframes.
    Since it was just a one year series, we knew when we got to the end, he would probably be ending up staying in one timeline or the other, and anxiously waited to see how it would end.
    In the very last episode, it turned out that they were all on a spaceship going to Mars, and everything that had happened up until then was part of his dreams along the trip while they were all sleeping.
    It was a really disappointing ending !

Babs Hunt likes this.
  15. Ken Anderson

One of my favorite series finales was the end of Newhart, particularly given that his Newhart series began four years after The Bob Newhart Show ended.