How Do You Convert To An Led Bulb?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Hannah Davis, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

This is something that has puzzled me since we were told that in the United States incadescent bulbs were no longer going to be manufactured and that all of us had to go over to LED bulbs. There is just one problem for me exactly how many watts of an LED Bulb equal 60 Watts of an incandescent bulb. To be perfectly honest this is probably the only thing keeping me from switching over, I have no idea what the LED wattage equals in terms of the standard 60 watt bulb. I have tried to look in the information upline and came up empty with little information, so I thought I would come here with the question. Do any of you know what LED watt bulb is equals the 60 watt standard bulb.

Diane Lane likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Here is a conversion chart that might be helpful. The ones that I have seen have said on the package, which wattage it would compare with in an incandescent.

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I converted my house over to led lighting and now have my two bedroom house with two bedroom apartment on top using less than 100 watts of electricity. Even though they say the bulbs last longer. I have found with poor electrical in this country they don't an some give off less light as they age.

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

I'd rather like to have just solar energy, no electric leds, but instead of wattage, I pay attention to lumens when it comes to my actual led lighting.

5. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

From the olden incandescent bulbs and the white cylindrical flourescent bulbs, we are now shifting to the economical CFL which costs almost the same of the old bulbs. As per the label, the 15-watt CFL is equivalent to 60 (some up to 75) watts of the old bulbs. And it looks true because we used to have the 40 flourescent cylinder for our bedroom and now we have the 16-watt CFL bulb.

We haven't tried the LED bulbs yet because it costs 5 times that of the CFL bulb which costs only 150 to 200 pesos while the LED bulbs costs more than 800 pesos. And even if there is a 2-year warranty, we don't find it that economical since the investment is too high.

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm still using some incandescent bulbs. I do have a CFL on the back porch, but I am somewhat concerned after reading about the precautions that should be taken if/when one breaks. LEDs are out of my price range for now, especially since there seems to be some sort of issue with the front bulb, which I'm constantly replacing. That one has been broken several times, as well as burning out ahead of time. I think perhaps I've gotten a bad batch of incandescent bulbs, so when I get a chance, I'll replace that one again with a CFL, and see if that rectifies the issue.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When the CFL bulbs first began to be widely available on the market, they would last for years. The ones that I bought then are still working. Now that the United States has outlawed regular incandescent bulbs, forcing people to choose between CFL and LED, the CFL bulbs that they make now are far more expensive than the incandescent bulbs that they replaced, but don't last any longer. The newer ones burn out quickly. Thus far, LED bulbs seem to last a long while but once they have found their way into wide use, they'll probably be manufacturing them to burn out after a short period of time too, since a bulb company won't stay in business long if people only have to buy their product once. They need us to have to replace them from time to time. I can understand that but what galls me is that our government has done away with the cheaper ones, forcing us to buy a far more expensive product that doesn't light up the room as well, costs many times more, and doesn't last any longer than the ones they are banning. Plus, there is the mercury problem with the CFL bulbs, and I'm sure they are well aware that 99.9% of people whose CFL bulb has burned out are going to dispose of it with the regular trash.

8. Dave Sun

Dave Sun Veteran Member
    Registered

We still use both. I have a large box of regular bulbs out in the shed. They will certainly outlast me. A couple lamps are CFLs.

9. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember those days when these new bulbs were just an alternative to incandescent bulbs just to save money, not aiming to save the environment despite they can, but certainly they were cheaper than they are today, and used to last forever. Never bulbs of my liking though.

I'm a person who likes innovations, but try to stick to former technologies I grew up with. So that same I'm missing analog TV, I think I'm going to miss incandescent bulbs if they totally disappear, and many times thinking to buy a large provisions of these just to have the joy of see them lighting a room again.