How Do You Bulk Delete Your Inbox?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Chrissy Cross, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I just read Ken's post about passwords, etc. and I saw that he said he bulk deletes his selected email.

I didn't want to go off topic on his post but I would like to know how that's done. I'm not talking about checking each one separately but is their a quick way. I have been lazy and have 3,500 emails to delete.

Diane Lane likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That depends on your mailer, but most should have a way to do that. Sometimes it's a drop-down box with "select all" as one of the options, or it might be a thing that you can click to "select all" or "toggle all," however they might word it. Sometimes, there will be a checkbox next to each of the email entries, with one at the very top that will select all of them. After selecting all of them, you can uncheck those that you want to keep, and then choose "delete" or "move to trash," or whatever wording the mailer might use. I use webmail, and this is what mine looks like.

toggle-all.jpg
    I added the arrows to point to the two "Toggle All" options that my mailer gives me. Once checked, I unchecked the few at the bottom that I wanted to keep, and then chose Move to Trash from the drop down box.

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks, Ken. I may have to turn on my computer to do it. I will look on my ipad now if I have that option.

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

No, on my ipad the only option is flag and mark read.

@Yvonne Smith , you have an ipad. Do you see a way?

5. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

It seems it's not an option on iPad's @Chrissy Page

Tap Edit, then highlight each message you want to delete, then tap delete/trash. There is no "Delete All" for the inbox, if that's what you're looking for. If you want to do so quicker, login to your account online & delete there.

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks Terry, yes was looking for a delete all. I'm not selecting 3,500 emails individually that's for sure.

The last time I turned on my computer was when you helped me, so will see if it turns on. :)

Diane Lane likes this.
  7. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes online is the only way, but can you not access the web yahoo mail on your iPad browser, you could then do it from there?

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'll look. Thanks.

Just looked, I'm signed in there with another email address but I see I can do it so will sign out and sign in with the one that has 3,500 emails. Great! A new start.:)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    Terry Page and Diane Lane like this.
  9. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I actually have even more than you do, @Chrissy Page, and it seems I'm constantly deleting them. I use Yahoo the most, and that's the one that's always fullest. Usually on there, you can delete around 50 emails at a time, although they seem to have a new feature where you can select 'yesterday' or 'the last 7 days', which I do on some of my back up accounts, since they're mostly junk. I'd seriously love a box to check for 'Delete All', so I could start fresh.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yahoo is my main acct and I haven't done what Terry suggested yet, I seem to get so busy doing nothing that I haven't had time but will get to it.

Diane Lane likes this.