How Do You Assess Yourself About Your Health Now?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Amy Read, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Amy Read

Amy Read Veteran Member
    Registered

At this point in your life and at your age how do you assess yourself about your health now? Do you think that you are physically fit and graceful now that you are already in your senior years? When you are in your younger years are you living a healthy lifestyle that you are still doing up to the present at your age?

2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

How do I say this? I have high blood pressure that I am taking maintenance medication so I would be safe from stroke. My mother was hit by a stroke 5 years ago so I am susceptible. I also have kidney stones and I actually had removal of stones twice already - that means this occurrence of stone in my kidney is the 3rd time. I am taking herbal tea for my stone to prevent it from growing. It was discovered in 2006 so that means the 10 years past is a good indication of the effect of the herbs on the stone.

Other than those 2 ailments, the only other concern is my weight. I am 5 feet 4 inches and my weight of 160 pounds is surely over the limit.

3. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I am or at least I feel physically fit at this moment in my life, and at 74 I think more deeply about my life and others. I do care much more for my body nowadays. When I was young my diet and lifestyle was poorer and I was much less healthy as a result. I am grateful I am in my senior years and feel I have lived through an amazing period of development/evolution in my society. The future does not in many ways look very attractive or interesting to me, but I guess seniors often see the world and the future this way. :rolleyes:

Bonnie Thomas likes this.
  4. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I am also 74 and I feel I have better than average health for my age. I have recently been diagnosed with Parkinsons and a taking a prescription for the first time in my life, but it hasn't affected my lifestyle. I still grow a garden and take care of our 25 acres. At 5'11" and 160 pounds My weight is good but I am trying to lose a few more pounds to get rid of some belly fat. I get exercise doing the chores around here but haven't been going for my twice daily 30 minute walks like I used to. I just can't do the fast walking any more that really helps but I guess a slower pace would still be beneficial.

Mari North and Terry Page like this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, I'm doing "ok", I'd say. I do get arthritis pain in the areas of four past surgeries that I've had (hip replacement, RC surgery on each shoulder and ankle surgery). I take a BP med, cholesterol med, diabetic II med that I didn't take years ago. I'm about 20 lbs. overweight, but can't seem to lose, but don't gain (good thing). Years ago, I was into square dancing and rodeo, but those days are definitely gone now. I can't walk very far or the old hip (hip replacement) will start talking to me. Wife and I love swimming, but the cost for monthly membership to local YMCA is way to high and our apt. complex pool isn't always warm enough for us during the summer.
    Today, when we get in the mood, we play around with our Wii Game, go to a pistol/rifle range and during the summer take our power boat out. So, we do get some exercise there.
    But, all-in-all, I guess neither of us are doing to bad for being in our mid/later 60's.

6. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm almost 76. I spent a lifetime learning what not to do, and it's taken a toll on me. But, I'm happy enough still waking up each morning. If something aches, that means I still have it and it still works, more or less.

7. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Let me put it this way I am about to turn 51 and in some ways I feel like I am falling apart. I use to love to take long walks. Now I have serious need and foot issues. There are times when I have to stop to sit down. So, my health certainly isn't what it use to be I would be deluding myself if I said otherwise.

8. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm physically fit and believe in exercise and eating properly. More so than when I was younger.

At 70+, I'm just happy that I'm not seeing any doctors on a regular basis. .. in fact, doctors don't like me at all ...
    I always have a natural solution to their prescription drugs.. so I stay away until I really need an answer to a health issue.
    Just glad we live in the age of the Internet, where we can study, research so many things on our own...

9. Will Lawrence

Will Lawrence Veteran Member
    Registered

69, going on 70. Am in excellent physical condition. Could stand to lose 25 to 30 pounds, but the doc doesn't think it's worrisome. The ONLY prescription medicine I take is a statin for regulating cholesterol. That is well under control and he keeps reducing the dosage.
    I am a vitamin freak, though not as bad as some I know. Every morning... 1 "old man" multiple vitamin, 2,000 mg fish oil, 1 B complex tablet for metabolism/energy, 1,000 mg Vitamin C, and 1 81mg aspirin. When I had my annual physical late in December, all my blood and urine labs came back excellent.
    We do not eat "healthy". My wife does eat quite a few salads. I don't like raw veggies, though will eat frozen veggies.
    I've passed 7 kidney stones, been operated on to remove one, and had 1 "blown up". Have broken every toe on both feet at least once. Shattered the left knee and had screws put in in 1977. Had that knee removed and replaced with a titanium one in 2009. Have broken an ankle, a wrist, and have a thumb that doesn't look right. One big chunk out of my left shin where a claw hammer slipped and met bone. And, a piece of lead embedded in my right knee.
    Haven't had a cold in 2 years. Play at least 150 rounds of golf/year. Climb up and down ladders and excavations. And really feel pretty good. But, as Ike said, "If something hurts, I know I woke up!"

Terry Page likes this.
  10. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

If you had asks this question 8 years ago I would have had a list of health problems wou;d be to long for this thread. Now my doctor says I have the blood pressure of a 15 year old and I joke with him and tell him I am not giving it back. All my health problems have gone away high blood, pre diabetes, arthritis, 70 lbs lighter and many digestive problems without medication. I feel better than when I was 30 years old. I also have been able to help family and friend off their medication actually the doctors took them off their meds.

Yvonne Smith and Ike Willis like this.