How Do Spiders Get Inside Houses

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Shirley Martin, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

In the corner of my bathroom, there is a teeny, tiny spider web. In the teeny, tiny spider web, there is a teeny, tiny spider. The teeny, tiny spider is no bigger than the smallest speck of black pepper. To get to my bathroom, the teeny, tiny spider would have had to crawl through the kitchen door, across the 20 foot kitchen, through the 20 foot den, down a long hallway, through my bedroom and into the bathroom. How can a teeny, tiny spider do all that?

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

Houses aren't completely sealed, and I think the spider's body is such that it can squeeze through a small space. A tiny spider could get through pretty much anything. Maybe mom is around somewhere too. When I lived in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas, I moved from Cameron County to Delta County, and when I moved my furniture out of the house in Los Fresnos, I found a huge dead tarantula behind a piece of furniture; so at some point, it must have been alive and traipsing around my house.

3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Veteran Member
    Registered

Mainly they come in from under the sink - I bought a spray from Amazon and spray there every 2 months
    Problem solved. It is harmless to them, they just don't like the smell. I do like the smell, which disappears within half hour
    The only problem is, when you first spray, you may see a couple (maybe hours later) as they get away from the smell - after that, you should
    be free of them :)

4. Jeff Tracy

Jeff Tracy Well-Known Member
    Registered

Help me , help me (Vincent Price in THE FLY) Spiders on the roof , LOOKOUT
    [​IMG]

5. Jeff Tracy

Registered

(Vincent Price in THE FLY)
    [​IMG]

Von Jones likes this.
  6. Shirley Martin

Registered

Naaaaah , we have a tacit agreement. He doesn't bother me and I don't bother him.:D

Patsy Faye likes this.
  7. Shirley Martin

Registered

8. Jeff Tracy

Registered

Yup

9. Shirley Martin

Registered

They are fabulous.

10. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Veteran Member
    Registered

Spiders, crickets and other small insects use byways and back ally we who occupy a house never know about. Little spider can follow scent trails in the corner of an out of the way closet or under your sink. It's all like a sub terrain-an city underneath our feet and flooring.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Spiders-in-the-House

11. Shirley Martin

Registered

This little fellow is near the heat/AC vent so he probably got in through there. I was thinking of how to feed him but I see that he has some kind of gnat or fruit fly in his web.

From @Bill Boggs link:

Spiders are about the best "pest" one could hope for in their house, as they kill tons of other pests that can cause harm to humans or spread disease.
    Rather than killing spiders, you should transport them outside if possible. Spiders are a species that is very beneficial to humans, and they're rather noble once you understand them.

Von Jones and Ken Anderson like this.
  12. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Veteran Member
    Registered

Perhaps my understanding is warped but I tend to disagree with that thought process or perhaps not inclined to appreciate it. They say the same thing about snakes which I also think is rather Mickey Mouse.

Shirley Martin likes this.
  13. Shirley Martin

Registered

My attitude toward spiders tends to be live and let live. I wouldn't want them all over the house, of course, but that one in the corner doesn't bother me.

I was once bitten by a huge jumping spider. I was putting mulch around one of my plants and saw a big round white object. I thought it might be that one of my smaller birds had laid an egg in the mulch. I poked it with my finger to see it better and just about time I poked it, I realized that it was a spider egg sac. She jumped out from the mulch and bit my finger. It left two little puncture marks. I killed her and immediately went to my doctors office carrying her. He looked her up in his medical book and said her bite was not poisonous. But since then, if I see such an object, I don't poke it with my finger. :D

14. Neville Telen

Neville Telen Active Member
    Registered

Now that's how you freak out airborne nosey nellies, and get them to waste government-paid copter fuel on multiple passes.

15. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

In several places I've lived around the country, I've found Black Widows have a way of subtly proliferating in little-used places, such as a corner of the garage, behind perhaps stored boxes. Their webs are often erratically-constructed, hard to see clearly unless they have collected dust, as is often the case. If you spot such a web, use a flashlight to inspect closely: somewhere in there will be the Black One, cringing quietly. I've seen literally dozens over the years, fortunately having never been bitten. Incidentally, the red fiddle-shaped marking exists on the spider's belly, not it's back, as most Exterminators' ads depict.

• [​IMG]

Bobby Cole likes this.
  16. Von Jones

Von Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

I've read that any insect that has red on it should be left alone, or removed very carefully just like the one in @Frank Sanoica 's photo. Then I read about the brown recluse. I think that's where I would not be able to recognize one because the spiders I see are either brown or black. Spiders are very quick too if you have ever tried to kill one. On the funnier side of this thought, why don't they just spit out their web juice and fly away? :rolleyes::)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  17. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

With black widows, as in the human species, it's only the female that's poisonous, and you're unlikely to die of a black widow bite, although it has happened.

I think I've told this story somewhere in the forum before but, since I can't find it, I'll tell it again. When I was a very young man, I was renting an apartment with a friend of mine. This was in Cypress, California, I think.

One day, we found a black widow in the cabinet under the sink in our bathroom. Since she wasn't doing any harm, we let her be. Whenever we came into the bathroom, we'd look to see that she was safely in her place, and it seemed that she always was. Live and let live, as long as she was behaving herself, we let her be. She never seemed to move from the cabinet, where she had a web. As someone mentioned, black widows aren't very good at making webs so it was kind of a crappy looking web.

We wondered what she was living on because we kept the place pretty clean, so it wasn't crawling with insects or anything. Yet, day or night, she seemed to be in her web.

Then one day, I saw a bunch of tiny spiders on the wall in the bathroom. Looking more closely, there were hundreds of them. It seemed like thousands at the time, but I suppose it was hundreds.

Clearly, this arrangement was no longer going to work, since she had had babies. We caught the mom on a piece of newspaper and evicted her. She gave us no trouble, simply hanging onto the newspaper until we shook her off outdoors. Then we evicted as many of the babies as we could, and bought some spray for any that were lingering. So much for spider-human relationships. Mom was okay, but her kids were into everything.

18. Shirley Martin

Registered

@Ken Anderson , I'm OK with the little house spiders but If It's a black widow, I'd have to kill it. My brother was bitten by a black widow and nearly died. He was hospitalized for many days.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  19. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Shirley Martin
    This testimonial serves to verify the danger inherent to Black Widow presence. I've seen them often, and oftyen more close-up than I'd relish, moving boxes or some other activity in a little-used area, to find their ragged webs present.
    Frank

20. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

Source: Live Science

21. Neville Telen

Neville Telen Active Member
    Registered

Don't much give a ding-dang about all that coexistence blather. If something invades my space that can hurt me, its gotta die. The house spiders I leave alone until they bite me, then its game on and time to break out the R-A-I-D:
    https://www.ebay.com/i/142712912246?chn=ps
    I never seen any Black Widows here. Had them in Kentucky. Spiders hunt around at night, when you're asleep, in bed, in the dark! If a house spider doesn't respect your bed, ain't no reason to think a poisonous spider would. Difference being a house spider bites you while you're asleep, you wake up cussing, have to try to get back to sleep, and in the morning inspect the damage. Black Widow bites you while you are asleep, you may not wake up. Had a cousin got bit a couple times before an uncle saw it on him and killed it. Said he never felt it bite. Took him to the hospital, but he was one of them lucky ones that seem immune. Other than two big red marks and two tiny blisters. Kids and oldsters don't always survive it.

22. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

When I was a paramedic and we got a call from someone who had been bitten by a black widow spider, when we called it into the hospital, unless the patient was a young child or very ill, they would tell us that it wasn't an emergency and that the patient should go an outpatient clinic rather than the emergency room.

Source: Britannica

23. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, when a girl spider and boy spider meet and like each other they get married. Then the boy spider and girl spider see that they are different and then they get to know each other much better. Then the mommy spider eats the daddy spider.. The end.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  24. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

That's a legitimate concern. They are supposed to be nocturnal so they are moving about while you're sleeping. I think, though, that black widows don't go very far. When we had our adopted black widow spider in the cabinet under our bathroom sink, whenever we got up during the night to use the bathroom, she was still there. Although she could easily leave if she wanted to, since there was a large hole around where the plumbing pipes went in, she seemed content in her web.

I had another spider, not a black widow but some harmless jumping type of spider, on the wall in my home office when I lived in Texas. I was okay with it being there, since it seemed to stay on the wall, and it was usually a wall on the far side of my desk. Then one day, it came toward me while I was in there. I was watching it, then all of a sudden it jumped from the wall onto my leg. Maybe it thought we were friends, but instinctively, I swatted it. I felt kind of bad about it for a few seconds, and I really wouldn't have intentionally killed it. My hand just sort of acted on its own.

Neville Telen and Frank Sanoica like this.
  25. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

I hired a plumber to do some work on our water pipes, which are in a crawl space under our house. He told us he wouldn't come back because there were wolf spiders under there. Personally, I think he just didn't like crawling around in the crawl space, since it's kind of creepy down there and there are places where you have to slide in on your back, which is claustrophobic.

I have been in the crawl space many times over the years, before and after he complained about wolf spiders, and have never seen any. After he told me that, of course I was specifically looking for spiders, and didn't see any.

I have since made it far less creepy down there. Although it's still a closed space, I now have a new vapor barrier and tarps over the spaces that are most likely to have to be accessed.

Plus, before putting the vapor barrier down, I pulled the old nasty stuff out, and put a bunch of diatomaceous earth down there to control any insects. I'm not sure if it works on spiders, though.

Wolf_spider_white_bg.jpg