How Do Democrats Recover?

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Over the past eight years, under Obama, and throughout the Clinton campaign, it seems that the Democrat Party has made a conscious decision to jettison working people, including union members, who once made up the party's base, in favor of a collection of far-left fringe groups and millennials.

Yes, they still hold huge majorities among most ethnic minority groups, but they don't actually do anything for them, and these percentages are decreasing rather than increasing, and if the Republicans are able to change the business climate in this country so that more good jobs are made available, these percentages should decrease further in favor of the Republicans, and I think it's reasonable to assume that millennials will eventually lose some of their naïveté and start thinking about real things like jobs and the future. My first presidential vote was for George McGovern, so I know that it can happen.

Do you see the Democrats trying to reclaim the allegiance of working people, or is it more likely that the Republicans will once again abandon their promises, and give it to the Democrats by default?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I think after they get over their pity party they might make an effort to do this. And if they can find a leader to get them motivated.

As for the Republicans I didn't really hear them make any promises....but I heard President Trump make plenty of them. If the Republicans get on the Trump train and help him keep his promises to we the people...I don't think the Democrats stand a chance to reclaim the allegiance of the working people. Yet eventually someone will drop the ball and the other side will steal it once again....that's just the way life and history seems to work.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Our daughter was black and she was gay, but she often voted Republican because she was in the army and the military was treated better under Republican presidents. She didn't say, but we don't think she voted for Obama. Despite being a member of one group or another, people are sometimes able to consider other things that are important to them and to make decisions in their own interests rather than that of one group or another.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Although I am registered under one Party...when I do vote I vote for the person who I feel fits my convictions best no matter what Party, etc. they may be registered under.

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I've never voted Democrat, always Republican. If Trump was not the nominee, I might have voted for an Independent or not voted at all. None of the other Republicans appealed to me at all.

If Trump can pull off what he said he would, or even a part of it, I don't think the democrats will have a chance in 4 years.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  6. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I would never vote for a 'party', always for the person and what he has to say

7. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I used to feel that way Patsy, but I learned years ago that the party controls the individual. We had a democrat governor, David Pryor, who I thought was great. so when he ran for senator I voted for him. But when he got to Washington he became one of them. There is really no choice. If you don't go along with the party bosses you won't get on committees, any bills you sponser will never make to a vote, etc.

The best we've been able to do 'til now is vote for the party that you most agree with.

That is what I like most about Donald Trump. He's doesn't answer to anyone.

8. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes that's true Sheldon until you come up with a Thatcher or Trump, both determined and usually win
    But that's what I meant really, who has the gumption and drive - regardless of party :)

@Sheldon Scott

Chrissy Cross likes this.