How Did Song Of Solomon Make It Into The Canon?

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Ken Anderson, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'll have more to say about it later, but I often wonder how the Song of Solomon ever made it into the Bible Canon. It doesn't seem to have much to offer.

solomon.jpg

2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Without a doubt the Song of Solomon or the Song of Songs is the most sexually provocative book in the Bible and for whatever it is worth, it's completely devoid of any reference to God.
    It was canonized some 400 years before Christ and the Jews still sing the song today during feast of the Passover. Perhaps it isn't so much that Solomon had a lot to do with it but the song is indicative of the courtship of God to the Israelites hence the Song of Songs rather than of Solomon.
    The song is an integral part of Jewish life and stands to commemorate what God did and felt when he brought the Israelites out of bondage so why would it not be canonized?

Okay, the sexual connotations involved in the book. If we say that mankind can make something like sex irreverent even though it is meant to be a thing of beauty and purity, then perhaps we can go beyond that and see what God sees, and feel what He feels toward his children. Sex is only sex to us, but to Him it denotes a joining both spiritually and physically which can only be defiled by our own thoughts but is totally pure to Him.

I have heard a couple of dozen homiletics on the matter but truthfully, since it has been a part of the Jewish tradition for thousands of years it should be included but yes, very carefully read and with God in mind even though there is no mention of Him in it.

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.