How Coffee Affects Your Brain

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Joe Riley, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

It's something that I'm not willing to give up, at least in the morning. I've been putting off bloodwork because I just can't manage without these past couple months. I'm sleeping terribly for a number of reasons and I'm a person that needs 8+ hours and I'm getting max 4-5.

My dr said I could have black coffee for a fasting blood draw but then I mentioned it to the tech that was doing my stress test and she said "NO". I tried to call the lab that's doing it but they have a menu with no possibility of speaking to a person. I also emailed their website but no response.

Simple question yet get different answers from people you ask.

3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Can't beat a cup of black coffee in the morning to wake you up :p
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yvonne Smith, Tim Burr and Joe Riley like this.
  4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

HAHAHAHAHA!:D

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have never noticed a stimulant effect from coffee. I've been drinking coffee since I was eighteen or so, but I have no problem not drinking it. I've gone months without drinking coffee after reading about some horrible thing that it is rumored to do to my health, and I can't tell the difference between caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee, although I mostly drink caffeinated because there are more choices in caffeinated coffee. Within an hour or so of getting up, I usually make a pot of coffee, and I'll make from two the five pots of coffee a day. Since my wife mostly drinks K-Cup coffee, I mostly drink that. I'm not often drinking the whole pot, however, because the heater shuts off quicker than I'd like it to, so about a quarter of each pot ends up being poured onto one of my plants. But I usually drink coffee up until the time that I go to bed, usually about midnight or one o'clock in the morning. Coffee doesn't seem to wake me up in the morning or keep me awake at night. My blood pressure and pulse are usually low, often low enough to set off alarms at the hospital when I'm there. My BP has always been low though, and my pulse rate is usually in the low 50s, and can go to the high 40s when I'm sleeping, which is what sets off the alarms.

Joe Riley likes this.
  6. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

We are not coffee drinkers here. When I was still in school, I didn't like coffee maybe because of the bitter aroma. And it's a coincidence that my husband is not a coffee drinker either and like me, he doesn't like the aroma of coffee. But I sometimes drink coffee when we are in buffet restaurants. My sister's habit is to have coffee after meals and she would order a cup for me as well.

In the office, I have some colleagues who has the ritual to prepare coffee as soon as they arrive. And they sometimes ask me how I could work all day without a drop of coffee.

Joe Riley likes this.
  7. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

What to do with your keurig when you quit drinking coffee.

[​IMG]

Sure softens up those hard crouton nicely...:eek:

8. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

That's pretty low, mine is 70 something usually. Coffee does affect me though and I can't remember a time I didn't drink it.
    But anything later than noon and I can't sleep at night.

My body temperature is always low. 97 is average for me and I've even been 96. 7. So I never know what a fever is for me and nobody's given me a good answer yet either.

I also never got around to getting my bloodwork done and I have an appt with dr Monday.

9. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Gotta have my 2 mugs of coffee in the morning to kick start the day. If I drink any late in the afternoon, I'm up for most of the night.

Joe Riley likes this.
  10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

I tasted my first latte and cappuccino this year. I like them both! At home I buy Kona coffee on sale a 3.99 for 10 oz or 238 g. I buy Folgers or Maxwell House for they are on sale. Once in a great while Safeway has 30 oz. coffee grinds fro $5 on $5 Fridays.
    [​IMG] image from http://www.worldmarket.com/product/hawaiian-isles-kona-coffee.do.

I don't drink all that much coffee at home or on the go. Maybe 4-6 cups a day at the most. I put herbs like nutmeg, turmeric and cinnamon + honey with Stevia. Love cappuccinos.

Joe Riley likes this.
  11. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

In the early 1930,s Einstein visited Cal Tech in Pasadena California, several times. On one of his visits, he met up with Victor holly, a first year freshman who was studying physics. This story tells how Einstein & Victor met before class, and together, made a pot of coffee & discussed his Grand Unification Theory......over coffee.;) Click above link to read whole story! (priceless)

"Finally, a few minutes before one he heard a door open behind him. He assumed that it was either another student or a faculty member hoping to get a good seat by being early.

Suddenly the silence was broken, "How does von get a cup of coffee around here?" It was spoken in a German accent.

Victor spun around, standing not five feet away was Albert Einstein, alone and looking classically disheveled.

Victor tried to speak but couldn't say anything but "Uh. Uh". He studied the face, the man was old, much older than his pictures but there was something about the eyes. They shown with an inner light almost like that of a child.

"There is a large coffee pot in the anteroom, I was going to make some a little later for the meeting."

"Ah, dat's good, ve make some now? No?"

"Yes, Yes, of course." Victor stammered.

As Holly filled the large coffee maker with water the professor was rummaging around in a cupboard. Finally he held up his hand in triumph. He had located the packets of creamer and sugar. "In my youth I vould drink it black but now my stomach objects. I must soften with this." He made a disgusted face.

As the coffee maker gurgled and rumbled Einstein studied Victor's face. "You are a student here or are you von of the teachers?"

Holly flushed, "Just a freshman sir, first year."

"Ah, every von is so young it is difficult to tell von from the other."

Victor held out his hand, "Victor Holly, I am studying physics."

Holly goes onto tell Einstein what is "wrong" with his theory....and ends with the whole class drinking "Einstein's Coffee"!
    [​IMG]

12. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, but did Von get her coffee after all that :confused:
    :p

Joe Riley likes this.
  13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

You are being a funny von! Von & all got coffee!

Patsy Faye and K E Gordon like this.