How And Where Did You Live The First Four Years Of Your Marriage?

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Lon Tanner, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

My new bride and I lived in small apartment in a Mortuary in Mountain View, California after a brief Honeymoon in Monterey, California. Our apartment was next door to the Embalming Room. I was serving a Apprenticeship as a Funeral Director/Embalmer. My wife worked as a bookeeper for a soft
    water company. Our daughter was born in San Jose, Ca. while we were living in the Mortuary. The three of us later moved to San Francisco where I would be attending The San Francisco College of Mortuary Science under the G I Bill for Education. We lived in one of the subsidized apartments of the San Francisco Housing Authority. Our rent was only $30 a month. My wife worked for a carpet company as a bookeeper. We stayed in this apartment until I took and passed the state exams for licensing as a Funeral Director/Embalmer.

Marie Mallery and Frank Sanoica like this.
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Lon Tanner

My new wife and I bought the house I had been born in from my folks who were moving away from Chicago to Michigan. We bought in 1966, and sold in 1972,moving away from Crook County, Illinois.

Frank

Marie Mallery likes this.
  3. Bibbi Wright

Bibbi Wright Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We lived with my husband’s parents in a typical English semi-detached house in a London suburb for just under two years when we were newly married. My husband had to carry me from room to room and up the stairs to the bathroom and our bedroom after I became disabled as the doorways were too narrow for my wheelchair. After that we moved back to Sweden and stayed with my parents for a couple of months till we got an apartment that was wheelchair accessible for me. We lived there until 1978 when we bought the house we still live in.

4. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Bibi You have had quite a time of it and have done well.

5. Bibbi Wright

Registered

@Lon Tanner thanks

6. Betty Jones

Betty Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

we lived in an efficiency apartment in wash d.c. then moved into a 1 bedroom apt in was dc

7. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

an apt we shared with our 2 friends in downtown Atlanta,Ga.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

When wife and I first met, she was living with her mom, in a 2-bedroom apartment in Costa Mesa, CA, and I moved in. Then, we moved to Colorado, rented an apartment for a little over a year, then bought a house in Parker, CO. Lived there for 4 1/2 years, before selling and moving out of Colorado.

9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

We had been dating for about a year when I moved from my apartment to his house (gasp). When mega-corp offered him a transfer to Baton Rouge, we decided to get married so they would transfer me, too. :oops::D We spent the first couple of months in a Residence Inn hotel on the company's dime while house hunting, then found a house and the company moved our belongings for us. It was quite an adventure. New town, new job, new house, new husband, new kids. :D

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Not to get to "off track" here, but the company that my ex-wife's father worked for, not only bought him a very nice house in Palos Verdes Estates (overlooking part of the ocean), but totally moved him and his family from a nice house in the prestigious area of Rossmoor, CA, to the new one. Actually, he got a promotion from Engineer to Vice President of the company.

11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

That's a good plan. Don't get "off track." :p

Cody Fousnaugh likes this.
  12. Bibbi Wright

Registered

@Beth Gallagher You don't mean to say you were living in sin!!!!!:eek: And I always thought you were a good girl. Don't know if I'll survive the shock. But on the other hand we lived with hubby's parents for six months before we got married so I guess I shouldn't be sitting in a glass house throwing stones. :) ;) o_O :D

Beth Gallagher and Faye Fox like this.
  13. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We lived in a 3rd floor walk-up, having put each other through college with night jobs. With jobs waiting for us when we graduated, we immediately bought (i.e. mortgaged) a small 3 bedroom ranch. We're now in our 5th, and hopefully last, place.

14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I wasn't married for four years, only 1 1/2 years, so I cannot answer the how and where of the situation as it pertains to four years.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  15. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

why do you ask?