How About This Alabama & Ohio State Game

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Bill Boggs, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I can't really tell where my logic is on this game but my emotions seems to settle on Ohio State
    since Alabama is almost always in the playoff. I suppose I don't much like their coach. Haven't
    liked but one of their coaches since Paul Bryant left. That being stated it looks like my money would
    have to be on Ohio State even though I've berated them some simce the days of Woody Hayes.

Hoot Crawford and Nancy Hart like this.
  2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm like you, Bill. On the one hand, I'd like the SEC to show they can compete with the Big Ten. OTOH, I'd rather it be some team other than Alabama to show them. Alabama has been known to play pretty "rough" at times (I think). ;)

Hoot Crawford and Bill Boggs like this.
  3. Bill Boggs

Registered

Maybe the best way to say it then, since I, myself, am in a different conference, is to say, "May the best team win."

Hoot Crawford and Nancy Hart like this.
  4. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

It's the top 2 teams (sorry Dabo, but you know its true..) so it'll be a great game, and I'll be pulling for the Buckeyes.

For the record, I met Coach Hayes after he "retired" at a local fund raiser. You either loved him or hated him, and I loved him.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  5. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

It's going to a great game! I don't have a dog in the fight, so I really don't care who wins, but I'm looking forward to some rock'em sock'em football tonight.

Bill Boggs and Hoot Crawford like this.
  6. Hoot Crawford

Registered

Hats off to the Alabama Crimson Tide, clearly the best team in college football today. Final score 52 - 24.

Bill Boggs and Nancy Hart like this.
  7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Yea !! Out there spreading the Virus germ- no masks. Hope their around for the next game.

8. Hoot Crawford

Registered

Not sure what your point is. All participants are healthy young men, and all were being regularly tested and all tested negative. We would be safer from Covid on the football field (or sideline) than just about any other place.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I was speaking of the hundreds of people cheering and having a Hidy ho time...among themselves.

10. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Not being a huge college ball aficionado, I’m still scratching my head as to how Ohio State was even in the game? I know some rules were changed in the Big Ten but it seems that Ohio’s rankings were a bit stretched.

11. Hoot Crawford

Registered

Well, in order to be in that game, they had to beat Clemson, who was ranked #2, which the Buckeyes did. Score was 49-28.

Alabama was just that much better than everybody else.

Bill Boggs and Bobby Cole like this.
  12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I think it’s the ruling concerning how many games that a team had to play before being considered in the runoff. Ohio only played 5 games when the rules were changed and their win over Northwestern gave them that. Even their win over Northwestern wasn’t a real place maker but they did win so the rest is history albeit Clemson versus Alabama would have been a better game ....I think?

I’m kind of a misplaced fan of LSU anyway. I live in Alabama but went to LSU (New Orleans annex) for a while so as long as Alabama isn’t playing LSU I’m a Tide fan.

13. Bill Boggs

Registered

@Nancy Hart - I think you can now assume the southeast conference can play with anybody
    or any team on the football field in college football. One of the coaches I have most admired
    is Paul Bryant, who coached at Alabama as well as a number of other colleges, one of them
    was Texas A&M. I admired the man as much as any one I have admired in sports. Everyone
    here, I'm sure knows Bear Bryant. He was head coach at Alabama twenty-five years, I think.
    I like the way he coached, I liked the tembra of his voice, I liked his hats and the way he wore
    them. I like the way he carried himself. He was probably the most winning coach in college
    football history. I can see him now walking along the sidelines with his game plan rolled up in
    his hand.

He made Alabama great or greater than they ever were, sport wise. Alabama has a great
    coach now. No doubt Alabama is the greatest football team in the country, proven time and
    time again. The question may not be "can Alabama play with the Big Ten, bu maybe çan any
    other team in the nation play with Alabama. Once in a while they can but seldom.

I'm not much of a fan now days but you know that too.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Nancy Hart likes this.