How’s The Weather Where You Are?

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Ed Wilson, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Bruce Andrew

Bruce Andrew Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I've had a bit of snow on the ground a few times in the past week or so, none of it stuck for long though.

Had a bit on the ground this morning, then around 10 or so the sun came out and the snow disappeared in minutes.

It's clear and about 25 out right now. Pretty boring forecast going forward. But, boring is good.

About 5 years ago we had a great winter -- never had a lot of snow cover, little shoveling or plowing was needed. It was a nice break. :)

Jo White and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Jo White

Jo White Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hi Yvonne, I'm in Victoria, so we've had much the same as what Vancouver has been facing (with the exception of Abbotsford which seems to have basically sunk). It hasn't been too bad here except the only road up island is the Malahat, and it washed out and has been closed. It's open now, with, I think, just one lane traffic. Aside from gas rationing we currently are under travel restrictions (essential travel only). It should actually be common sense for people to stay off the roads without needing a mandate, but looky-loos were drawn to see how things looked, I gather.

I, too, have family in Western Washington, but where they're at it's okay.

Different kinds of crazy weather appear to be happening everywhere these recent years, that's for sure, and it is getting worse. Droughts in California and the Southwest, heatwaves in the South, more severe hurricanes in the South and Northeast, and so on. It's just plain nuts.

How are things where you're at? Stable for now but who knows what will happen next? <<< I think that could pretty much be the weather forecast for any place these days.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Bruce Andrew

Bruce Andrew Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

"The weather tends to fluctuate." -- Bruce Andrew

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

As far as I am aware, that's all pretty normal. Weather differs from one year to the other, but I think we've had less severe hurricanes in recent years than in the past, although I'm sure we've had more dramatic coverage from the media.

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

On Thursday morning it was 16 degrees here. No snow falling since the 15th, but none of that stuck. I don't hear anyone here (northern Colorado) complaining about "no snow", but in Denver, very different. They want snow and snow that sticks!

6. Jo White

Registered

Boy do I ever agree re media coverage. The fear-mongering nature of the media has reached levels that surprise even jaded me (that said, what is happening in B.C. is definitely far beyond average seasonal weather).

Re news, I try to find the bare facts hidden within the spewing of fear-mongering loaded hype to find what is actually happening. It is not easy to do, and should not be necessary, but it is what it is. We'll not see the likes of Walter Cronkite again.

The media follows the mantra 'if it bleeds it leads'.

Governments have greater control of people who are scared witless.

Media. Government. It is a partnership born in the pit of Hell.

We the people are the pawns.

Don Alaska and Ed Wilson like this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Beautiful sunny day today; low humidity and due to be around 70 degrees.

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Here is an actual weatherman who is not happy about being left out in the snow and cold to tell television watchers that it is snowing outside, when they can see that just by looking out their windows……
    (I think that this happened in Colorado , @Cody Fousnaugh )

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

That is funny, but he's not a real weatherman; he's a comedian and has a youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFq7vUgpjnVRZI-MzSvRZAA

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Our first -30 F. morning of the year, but it is supposed to warm up and snow today. At least that guy isn't standing outside here:).

11. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I am getting nervous. They are taking out a 10 foot high culvert under the road just to the south of my farm. My snow plow guy is my neighbor just to the south of the roadwork. Not sure if he will be coming this year to plow because of this and I can't get ahold of him cuz he is out of range, deer hunting.
    Ya think I can switch sides and be anti gun?

12. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Here we had the driest summer on record and so far the wettest fall on record. I have been in this area for over 40 years and it seems every year has had some kind of unusual weather occurrence.

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Jo White

Registered

Yes, that is true here on Vancouver Island as well. We have been affected less than most places around here, but it has slowly become drier and hotter which has badly affected trees native to the area. The rest of B.C. has been hit much harder with wildfires and now flooding. As for the cause, that is the interesting part, is it primarily human driven or a natural cycle or a combination of both?

Ed Wilson likes this.
  14. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I was always done cutting grass in October, but the last two years I had to give it another cutting in November.

Jo White likes this.
  15. Jo White

Registered

At the rate things are going you'll be cutting grass into April, lol. Seriously, though, we really felt we were going to miss out on the Great Weather Shift because it was so slow that we barely noticed. In fact, the only real difference was having sunny days a whole lot more than we used to have. And, well, that felt pretty good. Then neighbourhood trees started falling with not very much wind at all (the Gary Oaks especially). And looking at the fallen trees one could see they were almost hollow inside, just dried up from lack of water.

Ed Wilson likes this.