How’s The Weather Where You Are?

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Ed Wilson, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Got into my Jeep and the battery was dead, what does that tell you.:oops: Luckily my neighbor had just came outside and I asked for her help. My battery is only two years old, why? Is it because I hadn't started it up for like 3 days of cold and windy weather? Why did it take so long to turnover? Was it because her vehicle was smaller than the Jeep? I asked her to press on the accelerator to see if that would help and it did. Now I'm wondering if I should invest in a portable jump starter. Jeez, it's a Champion battery? The battery before was original with the Jeep when purchased in 2013 didn't give me any problems until it died. The mechanic was even surprised it lasted that long. Am I ranting?:oops:o_O:rolleyes:

2. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

We have a week of summer coming up with temps close to 39+ that’s around 104 F

We have an apricot tree full of fruit that should have been ripe 2 weeks ago , we normally get heaps of fruit which we preserve / dry / stew and freeze , last year we harvested 70 kg of apricots.
    So we will be happy to have a few warm to hot days

Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
    Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I can't imagine your weather is enough to kill a battery after only three days. But there are so many drains on batteries these days; continuous driving lights, flashing 'security' light on the dash . When I have had problems, it was because of short somewhere.
    And mice!

Von Jones and Don Alaska like this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Ugh, how frustrating. It seems to me that batteries aren't lasting as long as they used to. I have mentioned this before... I recommend these "Halo Bolt Portable Jump Starter" devices. https://smile.amazon.com/Halo-Portable-Laptop-Charger-Starter/dp/B07FM85W13/ref=sr_1_3?crid=ZH87EIW3A5MW&keywords=halo+car+starter&qid=1673114703&sprefix=halo+car+starter,aps,478&sr=8-3&th=1

We have two of them and they have come in handy for when the power is out in the house. A lamp can be plugged into the on-board outlet and will stay on for hours. You can also charge your phone or other USB devices with it. I recently used one for the first time to jump start my car and it was so quick and easy to do.

5. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks @Beth Gallagher. My son has order me a jump starter. I don't know the brand but it's probably like the one he has. The Halo Bolt would be my choice from all the others I've researched.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

What a sweetie your son is, Von. I'm sure most of the jump starters work well and it will be great for you to have.

Von Jones likes this.
  7. Mary Stetler

Registered

Wait!!!!! The sun has been out all afternoon! I am not sure what to do about it!

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

-24 F. yesterday but it warmed up and snowed about 1/2 inch by evening. Temps in the teens F. and sunny. Just got back from the garden club meeting planning for spring!

Mary Stetler likes this.
  9. Mary Stetler

Registered

Ok, it is my own fault. It is not sunny.
    There was freezing rain overnight.
    Everything around our area is 45 degrees both ways. Went to go out the driveway, also 45 degrees and started slipping. Put my foot on the brake. I guess the wheels stopped turning but the car started back down the driveway anyway. Yes it is hubby's 4 wheel drive which would make it much worse if I crashed into the garage door. (Or any part of the stone veneered garage)
    Wellllll, I stopped. but I have animules to feed. So I backed up a bit more and got a running start to the road. and kept going. At the crest of the neighborhood's largest hill, I hesitated. There was a school bus with flashers on, not moving, at the bottom. I gave it a few moments. I thought maybe I could drive on the shoulder, such as it is. Nope, I might not have a choice at the bottom. I managed to back up and get turned around to head out a different way. I tried signalling to a neighbor heading out to follow but, I think he thought I was just saying hello. On the way back nearer to our house, slow as I was going, when the wheels stopped the car didn't again. I hit the garage door opener button thinking I would just coast in but, at the last minute, I decided to just go to the side of the road and let the car pick a spot to stop.
    Of course I had taken my ice hiking cane out of the car yesterday. Such a nice sunny day. So I picked my way through the woods to my house instead of using the driveway. The leaves underfoot felt like live slugs but I could grab branches if I needed to.
    I was sure spring was here in Wisconsin in January.:rolleyes:

10. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Angels were with you in every decision you made. Icy roads are no joke. Once when I went out, thinking the same as you, and the first time I braked and the car turned around in the opposite direction and stopped at the curb as if I had parked it. I was done. I made it back home which was just around the corner. :eek: When the forecast calls for freezing rain I stay put. ;) :)

11. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Generally a wise thing to do, @Von Jones , but @Mary Stetler had to feed her animals, so perhaps asking the neighbor to cover for her?

Von Jones and Beth Gallagher like this.
  12. Joanna Newton

Joanna Newton Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Only 38 degrees, but not bad. The dampness has lifted. But it's supposed to get colder with possible "winter weather conditions" in the next few days.

Beth Gallagher and Don Alaska like this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

78 degrees and partly cloudy. (Sorry, Mary!!)

Don Alaska and Joanna Newton like this.
  14. Mary Stetler

Registered

:mad:
    ;)

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  15. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

21 F. and cloudy with a chance of light snow. A nice winter temperature.

Mary Stetler and Beth Gallagher like this.