Houston Woman Detained In China, Accused Of Being A Spy

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Diane Lane, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

According to her husband, he had no idea she was even being held. She told him she had to stay behind, and then he got concerned, and checked her cell phone use, and was alarmed when there were no calls being made. What a nightmare. I don't know the particulars, but chances are, she was not stealing state secrets. This is what happens when a country is perceived as weak (the U.S.), and our enemies feel emboldened. http://abc13.com/news/houston-woman-held-in-china-for-allegedly-stealing-state-secrets/995435/

Ike Willis likes this.
  2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

This reminds me of our trip to Beijing last January. Our first stop is the historical Tiananmen square where some demonstrators were killed some decades back. From the hotel, we walked more than 2 kilometers to reach the vicinity. But before we could enter, we passed by 2 checkpoints with cops frisking us. I feel like we are being treated as suspects to a crime. And in the gate, there was another checkpoint by those men in uniform. It would be scary if you would be suspected as a criminal in China. From the looks of it, you cannot get out of it alive.

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Do you know what they were looking for, why they were frisking you? There have been explosions lately, and the Chinese government doesn't seem to want to admit that China has domestic terrorists, but it appears at least some of the bombs were set by separatists of some sort. Were you scared, or just upset at being treated like criminals?

I can remember going to dinner in Mexico and having trucks with armed men riding in the back, throughout the city. They were in army type clothing, so I suppose that is why they were armed, but this was before we could get the news instantly. Possibly, there was an election going on at the time, or the criminal gangs were fighting. I remember seeing a story of a restaurant we would go to around that time being shot up, with several people killed, and that was apparently due to a turf war.