Hours After Hurricane Irma, Miami-dade County Tickets Residents For Code Violations

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Ken Anderson, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

What do you think?

Source: Reason Magazine

2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

At the bottom of the article it says that these are just safety warnings but Perez was told by an Official who "ticketed" him that the problem better be fixed by the time he came back or there would be a fine.

I think there is a time and a place for everything...and this was not the time or place to be even "hinting" at fines for violations like this.

Yvonne Smith and Gloria Mitchell like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

It also pointed out that the stores were closed, so no one could just go to Best Buy or Lowes and get what they needed to fix it, nor were they given a specified amount of time, but that the next time he came by the problems needed to be fixed. A bad move, I think.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  4. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Well-Known Member
    Registered

I see it was mainly for pools, electrical. But still this is beyond people's control. Give them some time.

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

I think warnings are okay....pools without a fence are dangerous for small kids...many drown...add downed lines to the pools and it's worse.

Might be they were also just protecting their butts from being sued, I don't know.

Nobody should be fined though until it's possible to do the fixes.

6. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Chrissy Cross I was thinking of the safety issue with pools but didn't mention it. You are right about that.

In a crisis situation like this, you would think perhaps the city/county, whoever could assist people with providing that orange flexible fencing I have seen at construction etc zones. People may need assistance. And as you mentioned it's also a safety issue for the public.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson
    I think it's appalling and glaringly illustrates the stand I've expressed concerning government run amok.
    Frank

Kitty Carmel likes this.