Hospital Cafeteria Food

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ken Anderson, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm sure many of you remember when hospital cafeteria food was very bland, and not particularly tasty. That's the impression that most people have of hospital cafeterias.

However, for quite some time now, hospital cafeterias have been serving pretty good food. I'm sure that's not the case everywhere but, given that I was seeing it before I left Texas, as well as in hospitals here in Maine, and at Cape Fear Hospital in Fayetteville, North Carolina, I am thinking that it's a trend.

Hospital cafeteria food is really pretty good, better than many restaurants, and generally cheaper. I know people who live in Bangor, who go to the hospital at Eastern Maine Medical Center to eat, despite the fact that they are not visiting anyone in the hospital. EMMC offers free valet parking, even.

When I was a paramedic in Texas, we would often eat at one hospital cafeteria or another. For one thing, they gave us a 50% discount when we were on duty, but the food was also very good.

On the other hand, I can remember when that wasn't the case. In my early days as a paramedic, if we were eating at a hospital cafeteria, I would jokingly refer to what I was getting as "Food Substance #1," "Food Substance #2," etc. Then, fairly suddenly, that changed, and they started serving good food.

It's likely this is not the case everywhere.

Von Jones and Frank Sanoica like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Ive only been in the hospital twice and that was to give birth....I don't remember the food being too bad.

Then when my husband was in the hospital for a month in San Francisco the times I stayed overnight or for a few days at a hotel I ate at the hospital and their food was delicious.

When I volunteered at St Agnes here, I would go the cafeteria just to get a coke but I did look at the food an dit looked good to me.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I think that there is a serious difference between the food that you can purchase in the hospital cafeteria, and the food that is served to someone who is a patient in the hospital.
    When Bobby was having the liver tests done at the VA hospital in Birmingham, Robin and I would have lunch at the cafeteria, and they had a great selection of excellent food, like @Ken Anderson has at his local hospital.
    However, when I was actually a patient at the hpspital here for my heart surgery, the food that was served was just short of horrible. Even the coffee was undrinkable; so I asked for tea instead.
    They wanted to bring me pancakes and bacon for breakfast, with a side of grits. I sure do not consider that to be heart-healthy foods !
    Fortunately, I learned that I was able to order ahead, and actually had some choices, so then I could have foods that were healthier for me, like salads and fresh fruits.
    Bobby and Robin would come up with fresh coffee that they bought in the cafeteria and share with me, and it was nothing like the “mud” that was served to patients.

Bobby Cole and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

A lot of Seniors want healthy foods, no matter where we eat, but most of the younger generation doesn't necessarily want "healthy" foods. Just look at how many people frequent McDonald's, Burger King, Taco Bell and others. And, even though these fast-food places do have salads on their menu's, many, many people order the burgers and fries.

Now, when hungry, hospital food and airline food can be awfully good.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Gosh, it's already too late to edit my post. :(

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Yea. Generally, once another person posts after your post, you can't edit your post. Although, sometimes you can.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I think there's a time limit like 90 minutes....should be longer, I'm half asleep when I post in the morning. :)

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Definitely. The food that you are served as a patient is limited by whatever it is that you're in there for, and is generally not as tasty. Although, I will say that when I was there for my thyroid operations, the food wasn't bad.

9. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

The food at the orthopedic hospital where I had my knee surgery was better than most restaurants I've been in.

10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

My DH spent a lot of time in hospitals the last few years he lived. He was mostly on a regular diet and his food was delicious most of the time. He was given a menu with his breakfast tray. He could pick his food for the next day from the menu. I often ate in the cafeteria and they had the same food he was served. I frequently ate breakfast there. They had a good selection and they would cook your eggs to order.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  11. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

After working as a hospital employee I have experienced the changes in the taste of the food in the hospital cafeterias. Especially the types of food served which expanded to having a 'grill' cook, self serve and coolers. I remember when there were only coffee vending machines now those were awful tasting if the cup didn't come out upside down. :(

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

The coffee in the vending machines in the emergency room are still awful. If you didn't need emergency attention before drinking it, you will after.