Homosexuals And Public Show Of Affection

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Faye Fox, May 20, 2022.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I can’t speak for Ron but I don’t think interracial marriages are the issue more than the noticeable shift in the way advertisers are attempting to show that they are socially unbiased in the department of race and gender.

Advertisers as well as tv series programs are trying to widen their target audience to be that which displays a more socially diverse grouping whilst exiling straight male and female couples of the same race or rather, that which used to be the norm.
    I believe that the next step will no doubt be that the trans community will be heavily represented in the ads probably sooner than later so companies can attempt to glean more of that grouping.

It’s a game that producers play in order to prove how diverse that the companies they represent are but it’s a hazardous game.
    Hazardous because when advertisers focus on who is representing a product more than what the product is especially when the who has nothing to do with the what, it’s the company that is being represented that will lose out.

2. Joanna Newton

Joanna Newton Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Let me give you a couple of "What If's."

1. Say for example you have a new neighbor. You get to know the person, like him (or her), hang out together. Later you somehow find out the person's spouse is a different race. Would you no longer like or hang out with the person?

2. I don't know if you have kids or not, but just say what-if. You have a teenage son or daughter, and the kid introduces you to a person he or she has started dating. The kid seems very nice- respectful, etc.- and you like the kid very much. What if you later learned your teen's boyfriend or girlfriend is biracial- would you want your kid to stop dating the person, forbid marriage, etc.?

One point in this line of questioning is race isn't always apparent. So I'm wondering if your view of a person would change if it initially seemed a person was White but you later learned otherwise.
    (unless you ask everybody you meet what race they are, which would seem kinda odd but I wouldn't doubt if some people do it.)

3. Joanna Newton

Registered

You may know the person who posted it, and I don't, but 'trying to turn the world tan' is a white supremacist remark.

4. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Uh…..you might wish to re-read what Ron wrote exactly the way he wrote it. Merely indicating that more interracial relationships complete with their children appear on commercials does not in any way indicate that someone is a white supremacist.
    To be sure, I know that the caucasian race will be a minority in the U.S. in the not so distant future but that statement doesn’t make me a white supremacist. It makes me observant and fairly well educated.

Good heavens, if every time when someone makes an observation that has race involved with it that he or she has to watch out in case the PC police are around then we might as well limit our conversation to Hi…..and ….bye.
    It’s McCarthyism all over again. Better watch out, there’s a communist or worse, a white supremacist under every bush.

And just a Note: It wasn’t a white supremacist I first heard who said to Breed White People out of existence. It was a leader with the Black Panthers.
    The Next person I heard say it over the airwaves was an African American Muslim Imam.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
  5. Joanna Newton

Registered

I would have added- but it wasn't in his topic- I have just as much negativity toward Black supremacists as White ones. Anyone who believes their race is better than others, and wants separatism, is ignorant.

6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

In truth, the Topic is about public displays of homosexuality but was somehow shifted to race.
    That said, I suppose since homosexuality exists in all of the races and is highly exposed in all walks of life nowadays including televised commercials, by a stretch, there might be some small merit in continuing on this course.

Also, the word “ignorant” only means that someone is lacking in knowledge and in as much as no one has all of the answers, we are all ignorant of something and probably, many “somethings”
    Now, should an individual be ignorant of a fact and be presented with a fact but refuses to learn, then there are other words far more accurate when describing said individual.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

"Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn." -- Ben Franklin

Marie Mallery and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

I was hunting for a book I felt would be interesting and wanted to order. I found it. The lowest price I could find was $149. Not in this life.

Fortunately I found an audio interview with the author, E. Michael Jones, whom I would characterize as a Catholic social critic. That's not fully accurate but it's brief. In the interview Jones gives a good synopsis of his book which covers relevatory explanations of several topics, including the one from which I drew this thread title.

To pique your interest further Jones speaks of Frankenstein, Dracula, slasher movies and Alien, all of which he ties convincingly to social revolution and sex. As an aside he used a word I'd never heard before - valorization, which means the effort to increase the value of either a commodity or concept in the popular mind.

Frankenstein.gif Alien.gif

The book is The Rise Of The Horror Genre. The book is crazy expensive. The audio is free.

9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

OK. Now explain why the homosexual has become the hero. I don't want to spend $149 or listen to a 43 minute video. :p

10. Dwight Ward

Registered

You'll get the gist of his premise in the first few minutes. If you're too impatient for that I can't help you.

11. Dwight Ward

Registered

He/She is doing what the sign says. Get an adult to explain that to you.
    Dick's.jpg

12. Ron Beforee

Ron Beforee Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Well, I listened to it, and never did hear how the homo became the hero.

Allot of talk about horror movies / slasher movies, but no answer to the question posed in the thread heading ?

13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I haven't read the book or watched the film, but it's pretty clear that, in order to sell, both books and movies will have to portray members of the alphabet groups as the protagonists and heroes, not because that's what the public wants but because they'll be attacked otherwise.

14. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I moved to this rural part of Virginia from the DC area in 2010. Lots of other folks did the same. We were all initially struck as to how many interracial relationships there are here relative to what we saw in the big city. It's the exact opposite of the cliché way of thinking...the country folk generally could not care less about someone's skin color (of course, there are exceptions.) And this spans generations...it's not just the younger people. I think it's more prevalent in the legacy slave states than anywhere else. Generations of poor whites and poor blacks are historically bound together more closely than the well-to-do crowd.

15. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

LOL - TV ads. "Keep loving yourself, Keep being who you are. Talk to your doctor about Bictarvy."

John Brunner likes this.