Homemade Sweet Potato Fries

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Diane Lane, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I love sweet potatoes, and I try to eat them more than regular potatoes, since they're more nutritious. I was reading and posting in the Fried Rice thread, and the discussion turned to sweet potatoes, and I began wondering about making my own sweet potato fries. Since these are oven fried, they're healthier than a deep or pan fried version would be. I have to limit my intake of garlic, due to digestive issues, but I know many people really like it, so this would be a great recipe for them.

http://www.grocerybudget101.com/dirt-cheap/567-crispy-garlic-romano-sweet-potato-fries.html

1 lb of Sweet Potatoes, washed, peeled ( a carrot peeler works great!)
    10 Cloves of Garlic Minced
    1 Tsp Sweet Hungarian Paprika
    1/8 tsp Black Pepper
    1/4 tsp Onion Salt
    2 Tbs Olive Oil
    Freshly Grated Romano Cheese

Cut the sweet potatoes into 1/4" thick slices or strips (your preference). In the photos here you can see we used a crinkle cutter, I prefer this because it holds the seasoning well and makes the fries good and crispy without having to fry them.

Place the cut fries into a bowl, add olive oil and stir to coat. Add Garlic, Paprika, salt and pepper, stirring well to coat. Let them set a few minutes.

Attached Files:

2. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I have tasted sweet potato french fries and they are good. I have not tried make them myself. When I am at a restaurant that offers sweet potato fries I order them as it offers the chance to get something different.

Bill Boggs and Diane Lane like this.
  3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm happy that most grocery stores stock frozen sweet potato fries these days. I've actually bought them at Dollar Tree, as well. In my experience, they tend to be slightly drier than regular potato fries, so I have to be careful that they don't burn in my oven. Scorched sweet potato fries don't taste as good as burnt regular french fries. I found another recipe that didn't even call for garlic, so that's probably the one I'll end up using. It called for a crinkle cut knife, which I don't have, but I'm sure a straight edged knife would work, as well. The crinkle cuts enable the fries to absorb more seasoning and condiments, but I can like without the crinkles, at least until I get the special knife.

@Pat Baker I love trying new dishes and old favorites when I eat out, especially things that are more elaborate, that I don't take the time and effort to make at home.

4. Joyce Mcgregor

Joyce Mcgregor Veteran Member
    Registered

We love sweet potato fries at my house. And it is the only way my 8yr old grandson will eat sweet potatoes. I just cut them in thick sticks, toss them in olive oil with salt/pepper and pop them into the oven. I prefer them dipped in ranch dressing rather than the ketchup you dip regular fries into. I have also made sweet potato chips, but they have to be fried rather than baked.

5. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I also love sweet potato fries that are cut like french fries and fried in oil and sugar that will caramelized the sweet potatoes. It is a good snack because of its nutrients. You may wonder if I tell you that fried sweet potato is the usual afternoon snack of our dogs. It is better than dog treats in terms of nutrients. Besides, dog treats have preservatives that run counter to the health of the dog's kidney. But our dogs are given the fried sweet potatoes with no caramel, just the plain fried.

Sweet potato is recommended for those in diet. It is filling but you don't gain weight unlike the fried plantain. A nutritionist friend said that you can live on sweet potato even for a month. But the recommendation is boiled and not fried.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:Sounds delicious! I'll make some adjustments to my taste though. I like to try new nutritious recipes. Our home has to watch our cholesterol and sugar. Ahh, the changes we go under with aging! Your recipes gives me ideas of how to make my sweet potato fries via oven. We have a convection oven that I like to make my oven fries in. Thanks for the recipe and I'll try a modified recipe one day. Sweet potato cost is high in Hawaii just now. :rolleyes:

7. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

If they are good for dieters I will negotiate to have some made from time to time.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't make sweet potato fries; but I do like eating sweet potatos, and they have a lot more vitamin A than regular potatoes do. Another thing that I especially like is that sweet potatoes are not an inflammatory food like a regular potato is.
    If you have arthritis, or any kind of joint pains, a regular potato is quite likely to have you crippling around, whereas a sweet potato does not do that.
    They are a whole different family of plants than a regular potato, which is part of the nightshade family, and potatoes can actually be poisonous. The plant itself is poisonous, and if the skin of the potato is greenish, then that is the worst part .
    Even the leaves of a sweet potato plant can be cooked and eaten, although I have not tried doing that.
    Since we seldom deep fry anything, or even do much baking , I just usually steam my sweet potatoes or cook them in the microwave.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  9. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

We have an abundance of sweet potatoes ( and Irish potatoes too). I have made sweet potato fries both in the deep fryer and the oven. The ones in the oven aren't really "fries" of course. I'm always open to new ways to use our garden bounty.

Bill Boggs likes this.