Homemade Pickles!

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Yvonne Smith, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Only the dead ones Terry:p

Terry Page and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Wow, I am going to be sure and stay really, really healthy then, I am sure that i live much closer to @Sheldon Scott than you do, @Terry Page !
    Since I am eating the pickled greens, I am already that much closer to becoming pickled soylent green and would not even need as much pickling afterwards.
    I remember that movie ! I thiink anyone who saw it will never forget it.

Sheldon Scott and Terry Page like this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

A friend of ours has had a bumper crop of cucumbers this year, and they have been bringing us fresh cucumbers from their large garden.
    Finally, we had more than we could eat fresh, so I made a few jars of bread and butter pickles, and sent Hosa home with a quart of pickles.
    By the next day or so, he had eaten most of the jar, and he brought me a box of cucumbers, and some jars (2 were gallon jars !) and asked for more pickles !

So, with that many cucumbers to slice, Bobby got out the mandoline and sliced them for me. I spiralized a few onions, and we also cut up some hot peppers, red bell peppers, garlic, and a few sliced carrots.
    I have so far made two gallon jars of pickles, and have a lot more of the cuke/veggie mix to make more pickles for us.

These are the easy refrigerator pickles, because I am not a canner, but they will last a long time in the fridge.
    Besides the cucumbers, you just need a package of the bread and butter pickle mix (walmart), and some sugar and vinegar, and any other veggies you want to add; so it is pretty easy to make these pickles.

781A125B-C1A4-4CED-A11F-C014B5268B58.jpeg

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Michelle made pickles last year, and they were pretty darned good.

5. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks for the tip, I will look for the pickle powder on my next trip to Walmart!

I wonder if you can use artificial sweetener in place of the sugar.

This is my secret pickle recipe, remember to soak the label off when you bring them home from the store!.

[​IMG]

Chrissy Cross and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

My mother "made" the best sweet pickles ever, without cooking. She just bought a gallon jar of whole Kosher dills, sliced them into quarters lengthwise (spears?), drained off the brine and replaced it with sugar and white vinegar to taste, and let them sit for a couple of days in the refrigerator. The combination of salt, dill spices, and sugar was just right. Better than sweet gherkins. [​IMG]

mtOlive.jpg

I found one similar recipe using slices, that claims you can substitute artificial sweetener:
    1. Whole Kosher Dill Pickles (46oz. jar)
    2. Sugar (3 cups) (Or, Splenda)
    3. White Vinegar (1/3 cup)
    P.S. You can use the sugar and vinegar solution for the next batch. Just add a little more of each.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  7. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

I will share my pickle with you, buy bread and butter pickles eat them and enjoy save all the liquid and jar, buy jar of nacho sliced jalepenos drain and put them in the B&B pickle jar add some sugar daily for about a week every other day in the ice box, drain and eat B&B jalepenos they are addictive and not hot. Let set for a week.

8. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

I like your style!!!

I save my sweet pickle juice to marinate a can of sliced beets and sliced onions. I drain the beets and put them in a saucepan with the onions and pickle juice bring to a rolling boil and pour the mixture back into the pickle jar, seal and refrigerate a couple of days before using.

I'm gonna try those sweet/hot jalapenos.

Thanks for the tip!

9. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Our cucumbers are coming on strong, too. We are waiting until next week to get the canner out and get going. Our family has always liked dills best, so we will be making mostly dills, I suspect, although our dill crop is behind schedule. We will probably have to buy the dill.

By the way, @Tex Dennis the way you pickle also works well with other vegetables and hard-boiled eggs, as well. Keep them refrigerated, however. My wife makes dried veggie powder and "End of Garden" pickles, which contain the left-over carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, onions, and whatever else she may have. Great stuff for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners.

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

When we had a pickle patch (of cukes) some years back, I remember we added dill weed to the jars.
    [​IMG]

11. Yvonne Smith

I just ran across this thread again yesterday, and thought I would give the pickled greens idea another try. We went to Kroger so I bought a small bag of collards to try this time. Last time I made these, I used kale; but the collard greens are more substantial, and have a different flavor.
    This time, I didn’t use as much carrot as I did last time, and lots more collard greens.
    The jar is cooling now, and I will probably just HAVE to taste it by tonight, or even this afternoon. I still have a half bag of collards, so if this turns out good, then I can make another jar.

4CDD0BF6-1CFA-46BE-9B03-C810B738151F.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  12. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

That looks interesting, @Yvonne Smith. I once in my travels met a guy from Mobile who mentioned "Collard Kraut". He said you either really loved it or couldn't stand it. It is to be served warmed up as a side dish at a meal, not like a pickle usually is. Again I bring up the Japanese, who pickle almost everything. Pickled radishes are particularly popular there, but I believe they pickled mustard greens as well. Try making your own kimchee. From my Korean friends, the word is that every family in Korea has its own kimchee recipe, some very hot and spicy, but some not. We make our own sauerkraut here, but I have never pickled any greens in vinegar, although we have pickled almost every other vegetable that we grow.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

I have tried making both kimchee and sauerkraut, and I like the sauerkraut, and hated the kimchee. I tried it several times, actually, with different recipes, because i kept thinking that i would find some that I liked; but I hated all of it. The best was when I made it one day and ate it the next before it had completely fermented.
    I actually like the sauerkraut before it ferments a long time , too; but sauerkraut is just good no matter what.
    I have also made the pickled Daikon radishes, and I like them when pickled in vinegar, just not in the kimchee.

I think that I might like the collard kraut, so I will look for a recipe and try a small batch with the other half bag of collards that I have left.

14. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

OH, I am SO going to make up a mess of this! My mouth is watering.....[/QUOTE]

That looks like the identical recipe that I used, except, I didn’t make a full size amount because I was not sure how well I would like them. I had to taste them already and even though they are not chilled yet, they taste pretty good !
    I didn’t have all of the spices they asked for, either, so I used what I had and only did a half cup each of the water and apple cider vinegar.
    Also..... I just bought the bag of chopped collards at the grocery store, so I didn’t do all of the chopping and stem removal because they were already in small pieces.

Don Alaska likes this.