Homemade Hummus

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Diane Lane, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

hummus.jpg Hummus can be somewhat expensive in the stores, so I want to make my own. I've been looking around for a while at recipes, and this one looks easy enough. I wouldn't bother skinning the chickpeas, since I have never bothered to do that in the past.

My food processor died a while ago and I haven't replaced it, so I will probably try making this in small batches, using my chopper that is basically a mini food processor.

This hummus recipe link also has a recipe for homemade tahini, although you can purchase it, if you'd prefer. http://www.inspiredtaste.net/15938/easy-and-smooth-hummus-recipe/

Karen McKenzie likes this.
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Hummus is very cheap here as is Tsatziki, Taramasalata etc....it would cost much more to make from scratch..

I've spent a lot of time in Greece, and the Greek Isles, and I've eaten lots of Hummus etc and equally a lot of meals in Greek restaurants here in the uk( my fave food of all is greek ) ..... and I tbh the ready made posts I can buy for a couple of quid from the supermarket or the farm shop are really just as good . we have them in the fridge at all times. I'm a big fan of taramasalata and my o/h eats chikpeas every day in his salad..

Clearly tho' if you make it at home, you know exactly where the ingredients come from so that's a benefit, I hope you have fun making it and enjoy it..

Karen McKenzie and Diane Lane like this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I worked in the kitchen at the CEDO Academy, one of the things that I had to make was hummus, for the vegetarian people there. Actually, most of the kids who decided to be a vegetarian thought that meant getting to eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for dinner, and they turned their little rich noses up at almost all of the vegeables we had.
    Nonetheless, I still had to make the hummus, and that is where i learned that I actually LOVE the stuff !
    We had a defferent recipe there from what most of the storebought hummus was made from; but it was delicious, and I liked it with chips or those little pita bread triangles.
    I don't remember the whole recipe, but basically, I put cooked garbanzo beans in the processor, added some mayonnaise and garlic powder, and I think some parsley flakes, and crushed red pepper (not cayenne) flakes. Salt and pepper, of course.
    Most of the ones from the store don't add mayo, but I do like it better that way.

4. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

I make my own hummus, canned chick peas, tahini, fresh garlic, olive oil, fresh lemon juice, salt.
    Delicious.

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I buy it at Trader Joe's since I'm basically lazy and can't be bothered to cook for myself anymore.

I just saw a beet hummus there, not too sure if I would like that. I do like the eggplant one and the garlic one.

Karen McKenzie and Diane Lane like this.
  6. Ruby Begonia

Registered

The roasted eggplant and garlic dip is amazingly good. It also has tahini and lemon in it. I knew a Lebanese family very well many years ago and enjoyed all this wonderful food. I never made this myself, though. It's actually not a hummus, I don't know the name but westerners call it eggplant caviar.

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, it is also Romanian because my housekeeper in Hungary would make it. Sooooo good. You had to roast the eggplant and it had lots of garlic. I've seen something similar here but can't think of the name right now.

8. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Yes, Chrissy, that's it. Roasted first.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  9. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Baba Ganoush!

10. Ruby Begonia

Registered

http://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/2011/06/classic-baba-ghanoush/

For this recipe, you will need to roast both eggplant and garlic. To learn how to roast eggplant, click here. To learn how to roast garlic, click here. You will also need to buy tahini sesame seed paste. Tahini can be found in the peanut butter section at most health food stores, and any Middle Eastern market will carry it. Many regular grocery stores have started stocking it, too. Choose a tahini made from light colored seeds, not dark.

Baba ghanoush is healthy, gluten free, vegan, all natural and so delicious. Pair with pita bread, crackers or chips for a mouth-watering appetizer that your guests will love. In tomorrow’s blog, I’ll share the recipe for the delicious baked pita chips in the picture next to the dip. Yummy!

See the full post:http://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/2011/06/classic-baba-ghanoush/#RxiUzAXy6OFbLkK3.99

Diane Lane and Chrissy Cross like this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

She would make a huge batch, my husband and I would put it on everthing. It wasn't really hard to make, not many ingredients, just roasting the eggplant and then peeling it took time.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  12. Diane Lane

Registered

It's nice to know so many of us love hummus and other healthy foods. I also love baba ganoush / ghanoush, it's spelled many different ways. I'm planning to use my one remaining eggplant to make some baba ganoush this weekend. I have to return my library books Monday, and since the library's near Kroger, I'm going to pick up some groceries. Hopefully I can find some sesame seeds there to make tahini.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  13. Ruby Begonia

Registered

You know @Diane Lane , I thought of you yesterday during the baba ganoush discussion because I know you like eggplant!:D

14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Please tell me what is baba ganoush, @Diane Lane ? I like eggplant; but the usual thing that I do with it is to make eggplant parmesan, or sometimes, I just slice it and panfry it like we do with a zuchinni squash. I have never tried baking an eggplant, although I have baked the zuchinni.
    I like to slice the squash lengthwise, scoop out the inside, grate it up, and then you mix that with a little bit of stuffing mix , cubed chicken, and cream of mushroom soup. Fill up the squash with that mixture and bake.
    Sometimes, I just slice the squash, and layer the ingredients above into a baking pan, and cook it that way. You can even use whole pieces of chicken when you do that; so I put the squash/dressing mixture underneath and the chicken on top.

Ruby Begonia and Diane Lane like this.
  15. Diane Lane

Registered

@Yvonne Smith Sorry, sometimes the conversation goes further in my head than through my fingers ;). Baba Ganoush / Ghanoush is what Ruby and Chrissy were discussing. Ruby posted a recipe, and there's also one on the link I posted initially, for the hummus recipe. If you click that link, there are corresponding links for hummus, tahini, baba ganoush, and I think pita chips, as well. For some unknown reason (I think possibly texture), I've never been a big fan of zucchini, although I will eat it. It's just not my favorite. I really love eggplant and yellow summer squash, though, so sometimes I'll use yellow squash in zucchini recipes.