Homeless

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Hedi Mitchell, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I have never been homeless. I have never had to live in my car, or on the street. I have never had to bathe in a sink at local gas station. I have never sold my shoes, for money to eat. Never had to walk in the heat, rain, or cold from one place to the next,on a regular basis. I have never had to get food from a food bank, or my clothes. Nor, have I had to fight for my life and or belongings because someone else wanted them. Have never had to relieve myself in strange places.
    No one,has ever judged me because I did not smell pretty, or had missing teeth, skin that looks like a road map or ,because I just no longer made sense. The list goes on with the trails and tribulations of homelessness.
    But it could happen me or you,at anytime in life.
    All it takes it one bad thing to happen- car totaled, lost job, sickness without insurance of any kind, lost retirement, a scam, a hacker,so many things in one instant can set a person into the world of homelessness .
    Awe, yes but you have friends, and then there is family ,right ? I can tell you, that does not last long in most cases.
    I will be talking more about this subject, but in the meantime,have you ever been totally homeless ?

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

No - but I have felt that way
    I have strong empathy with people that are in this situation - life can throw a curve ball at any time

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

No, I haven't.

4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

There are many people, young and old, who although they are not "homeless", have trouble with the food budget. Food banks are a lifeline, and should be used by those who need it. We who have the means should support our local food bank, as much as we can, and then some more.

5. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Its heartening to see the food bank box in the stores full to the brim

6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yes but with a clarifier. I was homeless for nearly a year in Atlanta and did it on purpose.

I was already working with the Atlanta Union Mission but it just didn’t seem right working with homeless people when I didn’t know anything being homeless so......
    It’s a very long story but I learned.
    I became a better counselor, teacher and a much better friend because my understanding is much more developed than most who work in the home missions field.

In short for now, there’s a whole lot more going on that most people will ever know.....but believe they do.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  7. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Homeless? Once my dad told me to pack my clothes and get out of his house.
    If I thought I was so smart, get out and make it on my own. See how tough it is to
    make a living. He said you live under my roof, you live by my rules. I had recently turned
    fifteen. He said he was going down to the station to get his truck and when he
    comes back, you better be gone. Mom helped me pack a few clothes and she fixed a
    sack lunch for me. This had happened before. Once I hitch-hiked a hundred miles to where an
    uncle lived. Another time I had stated in town and he came looking for me because my mom raised
    so much hell with him.

It was my mouth that always got me in trouble.

I hopped a freight train and rode for two hundred and some odd miles, hitched another fifty miles.
    I was late in the day and I didn't have a place to stay, no place to wash up except service station bathrooms.
    I had fourteen bucks in my pocket. I made my way for several months, finding someplace to sleep outside,
    in old sheds, behind billboards, underneath buildings. It wasn't easy until I found a job that would both feed and
    find a room to rent. It wasn't easy and my own fault.

8. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Yep I was homeless when I was 15, ran away from home after yet another beating from my father , took a train and just got off the other end with nowhere to go and no money.. fortunately I wasn't on the streets for long, I found the Salvation Army womens' refuge hostel, and they took me in and I was there for a couple of months. earned my keep by potato picking out in the fields...

9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Did you know I am now volunteering twice a week at the Salvation Army ? In the office.

10. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Excellent... it's a great institution... :D

11. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Thanks @Gloria Mitchell for bringing up the subject because I believe it deserves a conversation.

There are so many people, especially in the generations behind us, who are worthless, lazy and have the attitude life owes them something. They soak the government and their parents and anyone else who will enable them an easy way through life. However, not all people down on their luck, are a product of that mentality. They did work, maybe had some savings and provided for their families, but then some unforeseen event occured, that was bigger than they were. Maybe it was a job loss or a health issue, but within a short time, all was lost. If we harden our hearts to that situation, how can we possibly consider ourselves decent human beings?

I don't know how the problem should be weeded out so we can properly help those who deserve it. Many of the ones who do deserve help, don't say anything because they are too embarrassed to ask for help. Once your life is in the car, where do you go and what do you do? How do you crawl out of a hole when so much of society treats you like a bad disease? I know God said the poor will always be with us, but I don't think He was suggesting we do nothing.

12. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

True Bess........
    James 2:16 essentially says; what good does it do to say God bless you, be warm and at peace if you do not give them what is needed for their physical well being?

Matthew 25:35 we have Jesus saying: You fed me when I was hungry, you gave me water when I was thirsty and you invited me in when I was a stranger.

No where in the Bible does it say to allow the poor to suffer the indignity of starvation or a place to sleep.

13. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

Impressive compassionate OP, Gloria.

14. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

For me, I know I'm only responsible for whatever He tells me to do (or give), but I also know, I've ignored the instruction a time or two.

15. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

My biggest gripe about the homeless situation.

Everyone knows there’s a homeless problem in the U.S. and especially now during the political season of people running for positions in the government, the talk is going crazy.
    But that’s it, just talk.

If one were to look for a rescue mission or simply some place to find food and shelter, chances are it’s going to be a Christian organization.
    I have never taken a count of them but I do wonder now, how many Muslim, Atheist, Buddhist, Hindi or Government, State, City or County shelters are there? I think I could probably count them without causing any memory problems.
    Yet, until Bush Sr., government funds could not be awarded to a mission if it focused on Christianity. And even today, a mission has to go through all kinds of hoops for small grants even if it’s been qualified by the Association of Gospel Rescue Missions which is the worlds largest organization of it’s kind next to the Salvation Army itself!.

It’s a given that if indeed there were a Hindi or Buddhist mission (I can’t find one though) out there that they would have the same problems as a Christian ministry does but still, why all the hoops and bells when it’s the homeless that we’re concerned with?
    If cities, states and the government were so concerned about people living on the streets and starving, they’d be all about helping the ministries that are already out there trying their best to do what they can on personal donations.

What’s funny (not ha-ha funny) is that we as Americans are probably the most charitable and giving people on the planet but yet as economically safe as we are, we also have more people living on the streets and in cars than any where else on this planet.

Don Alaska likes this.