Homecoming Gifts

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Corie Henson, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

It is called "pasalubong" to mean the gifts you give to family and friends when you come home from a trip, whether abroad or domestic travel. That's part of our culture. Travelers are sometimes keeping their trips secret to avoid such additional expenses of buying something for their friends. Maybe it's all right for the family but some friends would be asking and it is embarrassing if you cannot rise to the occasion.

In our most recent trips, we bought a bulk of Hongkong printed shirts for giveaways plus some small items like coin purse, cute shopping bags, not to forget the chocolates and candies. From my estimates, we spent 10% more of our budget for those homecoming gifts.

2. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

I enjoy learning your words and terms, @Corie Henson ! We call them souvenirs and although I used to buy them for family and friends when traveling, I haven't for a while now. I think printed shirts from Hong Kong sounds like a perfect pasalubong gift! (But I'd prefer the chocolate. :D )

Corie Henson likes this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes we too call them souvenirs, and people used to always feel obliged to buy them for family and friends but it's rare to see anyone do that now...

4. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, Corrie souvenirs from trips are always fun, that is why so many travel destinations have gift shops. You can hardly go anywhere that is a travel destination without the proverbial gift shop. If perchance the town or area you are in doesn't have a gift shop, items advertising the destination are for sale in small stores and restaurants. In this area,,,there is only one gift shop which I haven't been in because it is on the other end of the lake, but the retailers in the area all carry souvenir merchandise. Give out those pasalubong gifts Corrie! I bet your friends will love you for it!

Corie Henson likes this.
  5. Julie Stewart

Julie Stewart Veteran Member
    Registered

We call them 'Duty Free' and they are usually alcoholic in nature ... whether we share them or not (and who with) depends ......

As a child local souvenirs with the name of our holiday spot painted on were de rigour for our grandparents and were usually a thimble for grandma and a mug for granddad.

Corie Henson likes this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, souvenirs were fun as a child but I can't remember the last time I brought souvenirs back from anywhere, nor have I gotten any either. First years my kids went to Maui they would bring me something but they go every year and I've gone about 4 times also so ...no thanks.

7. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

You remind me that we haven't been to the Duty Free for a long time now. We have a privilege of a visit to the duty free for every travel and we have traveled so many times already so our privilege is piling up. Maybe we can go there one of these days to buy some chocolates.

@K E Gordon the problem with souvenir shops is the high price tag. When abroad, we aviod souvenir shops. We just try to find souvenir items in the regular market or flea market where the prices are way down cheaper. @Mari North you will understand that chocolates are not souvenirs items, hahahaaah. But you are right there, people love chocolates more than the t-shirts.