Home Run Inn Pizza

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Frank Sanoica, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

For several days now, the above name has popped into my mind repeatedly. Finally, I asked my wife: she never heard of it before. Having no clue, I did a search, with amazing results:

"In 1923, Mary and Vincent Grittani owned a small tavern on 31st Street in Chicago, Illinois along with their daughter Loretta and son-in-law Nick Perrino. When a home run from a nearby baseball game was hit through the tavern's window, they decided to rename the tavern Home Run Inn."

"As of 2015, Home Run Inn has nine locations, four locations in Chicago and five in the Chicago suburbs."

A bit more may be seen, if yer interested, here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Run_Inn

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

@Frank Sanoica I'll be heading to Chicago next weekend and will keep an eye out for one
    of the locations.

Since I personally want just junk food the entire time I'm there, wife might
    make me have a proper, sit down, too expensive, dinner.:eek:
    Chicago is pretty famous for their Pizza and Chicago Dogs, why mess around with anything else!

We are going there to enjoy a football game, for pity sake, not to tour the polo grounds...!

3. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Since we are on the topic of Pizza joints, we had one in Moreno Valley, Ca. that
    the kids really enjoyed.

Close to the house and it was a place I could meet them on my lunch time while working
    at the base.

The family never really seem to notice, but they really didn't like the military and the
    staff often was very, very cold if you were in uniform.

When they announced that our base, March AFB, might be closing, the whole atmosphere changed.
    Staff greeted us at the door, you saw pictures of planes on the wall and just a complete make over.

We were the biggest economic force in that area and they were afraid of a future without us.
    Didn't help. The base closed in 1996.

Somethings you just get use to, while serving.

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.