Home Remedies

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Diane Lane, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I've used Biofreeze for years, and it does help. I have used a Tens unit in the past, as well as an even stronger unit that I no longer have. Insurance doesn't like to pay for permanent equipment and that was out of my budget, even back when I was working.

I will have to investigate the peroxide uses, I always have some here, and will definitely try it in my ears. I tend to get a lot of head/chest infections.

I'm so glad I started this thread, and am happy that people are sharing what's worked for them.

@Ina I. Wonder Nail salons are notorious places to pick up infections, so I wouldn't recommend using one. Have you ever seen a naturopathic doctor? Here's a google results page with some in the Houston area. I saw one back in Boston that helped me a lot.

2. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

A friend had an accident and was in pain she asked me if she could use a tents unit I have. She found a certain amount of relief but still only for a short length of time. I told her I have a homemade PEMF unit if she would like to try it she said yes. She said after that she got more relief from the PEMF machine and it lasted longer before she needed to use it again.

If anyone interested in making one of these machines I will give you the schematics for the one I built.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Ken Anderson likes this.
  4. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a question about Copper ... do copper bracelets and/or leg wraps do much for pain relief/arthritis?
    I've read some, but get confused with the information ... anyone have experience with these?

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Martin Alonzo

Registered

My mother used a copper bracelet for years claiming it helped with her arthritic. Copper is an essential mineral needed to help to absorb iron. It is what the body needs for elastin which is needed for building collagen. Loss of collagen due to aging causes visible effects. Collagen is the most abundant protein found in your body. It forms connective tissues such as tendons and ligaments and gives young skin its texture and resilience. Elastin also gives flexibility to the veins to stop aneurisms. Copper also gives color to the skin and hair. If you have graying hair or white it is an indication you are low on copper. A copper bracelet the copper will be absorbed through the skin.

6. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

Thank you for that information Martin. .. as I go to get my copper bracelets.
    When my knee acts up, I wear a copper wrap on it. Not sure if it is helping much, but it does 'feel' good.

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

One of the products that @Martin Alonzo mentions in his home remedy cabinet is Apple Cider Vinegar (aka ACV), which is used by a lot of people, myself included.
    I bought some of the expensive natural unfiltered vinegar that still has kind of a cloudy look and sediment at the bottom. This sediment is called "the mother", and it is much healthier to get this unfiltered vinegar than the cheap kind sold in most gorcery stores, especially if you are going to add a spoonful to your water to drink.
    Like @Krissttina Isobe mentioned, it is great to ward off colds and flus because it helps kill any bacteria and viruses that might get into your stomach from the food you eat.
    It is also supposed to help dissolve fat, and is recommended for weight loss, plus it helps dissolve calcium deposits and ease arthritis pain.
    I was just watching a video/article today about how important it is to have enough stomach acid to properly digest your food.
    Acid reflux is actually caused by a person not having enough acid in their stomach; yet they often treat it by giving people an antacid, which only ends up making the problem worse.
    This doctor is one that has a Youtube channel and I subscribe to it; so I get some of his new videoa when he comes out with a new one.
    I found this to be extremely informative, and I believe that anyone else who has stomach issues will want to watch this , too.

8. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

When I was 10 or 11, my fingertip, left hand index finger, became very swollen and hot to the touch, all around the nail cuticle. And, extremely painful. My Dad proclaimed it to be a "felon" (??). He recalled some old Slovakian stuff his Mother had spoken of, in their language, "Tirpan", as being useful for such an infection. Our Rexall drug store actually had the stuff, so saturated was the neighborhood with Czechs and poles! It was syrupy and black, smelling of Pine. We smeared it on my finger, bandaged over it, and two days later, my poor little finger looked like a hot-dog!

Off to old Dr. Davies, the Welshman educated in GB, emigrate to U.S., best, most "feeling" family doctor I have known. He studied my swollen and throbbing finger, shook his head, and remarked about my finger-nail biting habit. I bit them from maybe age 5 until the first and only love of my life, to become my young wife, told me I had a sickening habit, stop biting your nails. I did.

But, back to Dr. Davies, who produced a huge (in my mind) hypodermic needle, filled it with Novocaine (he said), then proceeded to shove that horrible needle into my fingertip in 3 or 4 places around the nail-bed. I cringed, but no whimpering; he always called me a "good soldier". (How I wish I had him NOW!). Next came the scalpel! I watched as he sliced my finger's nail-bed wide open, satisfied to see the pus drain out, then carefully bandaged it. No stitches involved (THANK GOD!), within a week, it was well-healed.

The old "home-remedy' of pine-tar, brought from Europe, failed it's predicted job. The condition of an infection in the nail-bed, if you care to know, actually IS called a "felon", how my Dad knew that I have no idea; it is also known as a "run-around", or "Whitlow".

Frank

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

My wife drinks apple cider vinegar, and I've tried it a few times but the taste is so awful that even a tiny amount is hard to do.

Diane Lane likes this.
  10. Martin Alonzo

Registered

Ken you can buy it in a pill form from different suppliers like Puritan’s Pride. I keep it on hand for anyone who has acid reflux or just a sour stomach.

Diane Lane likes this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

My mother always took a small jar (or container of some kind) and filled it about 1/3 full of raw honey, and then added 1/3 of ACV. She put the lid on and shook it a little and then let it sit, and the vinegar would dissolve the honey.
    We always shook it before using, and either took a spoonful straight, or added it to hot or cold water. When mixed with the raw honey, which is also very healthful, it is much easier to drink.
    When my kids were growing up, I made koolaid and used the vinegar/honey mixture in it, with a packet of unsweetened koolaid and water.
    We called it "Joy Juice" after the Kickapoo Joy Juice in Little Abner comics. The kids happily drank that and enjoyed it.

I also remember using pine tar, @Frank Sanoica , and it does do wonders at pulling out infections. That is probably why your whole finger was so swollen, was because the pine tar pulled it all to the surface where it could be lanced and drained.
    We used it on the horses when they got an infection, or a case of strangles (which is equine distemper), and it would pull all of the infection to the surface to be lanced and drained, just like the doctor did with your finger way back when.

12. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:)Thanks for the video and I learned something very useful for our home. My Mom suffers from tinnitus from time to time. I would like to help her with it. We both drink cider vinegar cocktails daily for our health and to loose weight too. Now as an added bonus it could help my Mom have better hearing, I hope. Thanks again for the video! :)

13. Diane Lane

Registered

I started wearing a copper bracelet when I was around 12 years old, to help with pain. I'd forgotten that, and I'll have to see if I can find it, or else I'll look for another. Everything has been acting up even more than usual. I went to check the shed light, to make sure whoever trespassed didn't leave the light on, and the cleavers in the yard wrapped around my ankle again and cut me, so I'm having another allergic reaction. I really don't like to use chemicals in the yards, but I'm seriously considering investing in some ground clear and just killing everything off. I'm sick of dealing with the weeds, especially these nasty ones.

Sheldon Scott and Bonnie Thomas like this.
  14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

When you use chemical weed killers, some of that stuff remains in your soil for years. Rather than using chemicals, I would suggest covering the entire space with something to replace the lawn, such as stones. There are some other ideas here, some of which involve even more vegetation than a lawn, but others that do not. This site probably has better ideas.

15. Diane Lane

Registered

Ken, you know how South Texas is. Everyone here uses chemicals on their lawns. I have no doubt the chemicals have spread throughout the entire area through rain and run off. I can't afford costly or labor intensive solutions. I've tried vinegar and other natural solutions, with little to no result. I am going to try vinegar again, but I'm more concerned about my health from allergic reactions than weed killer at this point. My skin was broken from the attack of the killer weeds yesterday. Killer weeds is a possible exaggeration, but the skin being broken isn't. An allergic reaction exacerbates all of my medical conditions, and I can't afford to have that happen. The strays like to lie in the grass, so I'm not going to do anything I don't have to do, but it's becoming obvious that I will have to address the issue...once I'm feeling better. I'll definitely check out your link, and hopefully I will find something that works for me, thanks.

Bonnie Thomas likes this.