History Of The Old Bailey Court Cases

Discussion in 'History & Geography' started by Tom Galty, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

Tim Burr likes this.
  2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I briefly looked this over. Why do you like this site, Tom? It seems to be about legal cases in the
    old world and a history of that time. I once bought a law book from a library book sale. It was the story of one lawyer,
    a prominent legal mind and the cases he had tried and defended in early America and his explainations
    why he took the stances he did, how he broke cases down and investigated. I thought it a masterpiece.
    My young niece was about to graduate law school school at Texas Tech University in Lubbock, Texas.
    She stopped by one evening and I showed it to her. She said "Please, uncle bill, if you ever get rid of this
    book; let me have it." I gave it to her. I thought the book a lesson in reason and common sense a few steps
    above my level of thinking.

3. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

Billy.

You need to look at it everyday to get a sense of history as the sessions change and years different.

In the early 1700 they branded people for theft under a shilling over that they hung them, you will see in some cases that the accused were charged with stealing things that were worth pounds and found guilty of theft under 10 pence

After 1740 they transported people for the same sort of crime to America and later to Australia till the 1860s

In the 1700s if convicted of Manslaughter you were branded...by 1830 you would get 20 years in prison.

you do have to follow ever day to get a sense of the history of crime in London

4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I see what you mean. Thanks, I have bookmarked the site and will see if it appeals to my meager mind.

5. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks @Tom Galty for the link.

What I know about the Bailey I learned from the books and TV series

[​IMG]

Now I can read how things really worked.

6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Yep I've studied a lot of those criminal cases and trials and punishments from way back ..and it's amazing how the punishments have changed..now we've gone the complete opposite way in this country..

Are you here in the Greater London area @Tom Galty ?..

7. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

Most of its boring but now and again it throws light on a way of life not only in London but in America

Example.

Sentence to 7 years transportation to America around 1783 but returned to England in 1785 he was found guilty of returning before the full term of his sentance and hung.

His defence was" They found(Americans) out that I was transported and wanted to kill me I feared for my life.

That is History.

8. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

@Holly Saunders

Live in East London place called Rainham but still known as in Essex.

Have been called up over my life three times for Jury Service.

Twice at Snaresbrook and Once at the Old Bailey which was awesome because of the history of the place

Bill Boggs and Holly Saunders like this.
  9. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I know Rainham ...my husband is an Essex boy born and bred...

Yes it must have been fascinating to be at the Old Bailey , I hope the case didn't go on too long tho'...

10. Michael Dean

Michael Dean Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have actually done jury service at the Old Bailey. And been a witness for the prosecution!

Tom Galty likes this.