History June 8

Discussion in 'History & Geography' started by Martin Alonzo, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

June 8 1967 A US ship was attacked and the people in the life rafts were machine gunned but this did not show up in any news media that talked about what happened in history on this date.

The USS Liberty was attacked by Israel and it was supposed to be a red flag attack to get the US involved into their war. The boat did not sink. So it did not work . Israel said it was a mistake and they could not identify the boat but the people on board said that plane flew so close earlier that they could see and wave to the pilot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Liberty_incident

2. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Maybe it was just a little payback for the S.S. St. Louis in 1939.

Martin Alonzo likes this.
  3. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

How quick we forget about these tragedies and not mention

4. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I would have been 9 years old at the time. I remember that Israel was periodically involved in wars or unrest. And now, Israel is our best friend. International politics does not make sense to me.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Well that is interesting. I think people here more about the Pueblo. I think that was actually a movie, that Steve McQueen was in. Correction, Wiki said that was the Sand Pebbles, and unrelated topic. I had never heard of the Liberty incident. I guess that was hushed up. Sometimes I think we only hear about half the things that happen in the world. We hear what the media chooses to report to us, or what the military is comfortable letting us hear about. You just never really know what the true story is when you hear about these events.

6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Texas Beth In my estimation, international politics very likely make no sense even to those involved in their direction!