History And Abortion Rights

Discussion in 'History & Geography' started by Babs Hunt, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Janice Martin

Janice Martin Well-Known Member
    Registered

A person does not have to be a Christian to have this belief. In my opinion, it'd be wrong even if God had not said so.

Personally, I describe myself as 'pro-life, with an asterisk'- meaning, there are some situations in which it is not necessarily wrong.

However, what irks me most on the subject is the way it's presented- and the changes in the way it's been presented ever since Roe v. Wade. Currently it's the 'women's own bodies' and 'women's health care' excuses, and neither are valid. An unborn child is not 'the woman's own body,' and abortion has nothing to do with 'health care' unless the woman's life in is jeopardy.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree with that statement Shirley. :)

3. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Veteran Member
    Registered

I hope abortion becomes rare because unwanted pregnancies become rare. But I believe abortion should always be legal and available

Another thing rarely mentioned: You said 60 million babies have been aborted. Can you imagine what our country, especially the inner cities, would be like today with 60 million unwanted babies, many if not most living in poverty. Just think about the cost and the crime rate.

Chrissy Cross and Patsy Faye like this.
  4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Veteran Member
    Registered

Wouldn't that be a wonderful thing Sheldon :)

Janice Martin likes this.
  5. Janice Martin

Registered

Thanks for adding another issue I wanted to bring up: my own experiences (places I've lived, people I've known) do tend to back up statistics I read quite a few years ago- the majority of abortions don't involve girls/women who are living in extreme poverty, because girls/women in that category are most likely to either belong to a religion or ethnic culture that forbids abortions.

I don't have the statistics available, but I do recall it said the largest percentage of individuals who have abortions are upper-middle-class, white, and in their 20s and 30s.
    And if that's true- as it seems to be- it's more about 'birth-control-after-the-fact' and 'convenience' than anything else.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  6. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

@Babs Hunt ,I must point out that it was @Janice Martin who said that, not me.

Babs Hunt and Janice Martin like this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

Maybe we would have gotten serious about controlling immigration into this country earlier. The number of immigrants in the United States numbered more than 80 million people (25% of the U.S. population) in 2014.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  8. Janice Martin

Registered

Like 1492?

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

That would have served the indigenous people well, yes. Unfortunately, it's too late for them. Not too late for us. People bring that up all the time, yet it merely illustrates the need for border security.

10. Janice Martin

Registered

I'm not sure what you mean by 'us'

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

Seeing as I am a United States citizen, it could refer to the U.S. population or to the US, as an abbreviation for the country.

Pretty much every part of the world has been taken over by someone else at some point in history, so I don't view the plight of the indigenous American people as being significantly different than those who have been displaced elsewhere. It's a terrible thing, but not one that you can go back and fix after the fact.

My own ancestors were in Sweden when the American Indians were displaced and they were still in Sweden when there was slavery in the United States, so I don't feel a whole lot of personal responsibility.

12. Janice Martin

Registered

Thank you for clearing that up. Wasn't trying to argue, just wasn't sure what you meant.

It's nice to hear your ancestors didn't participate any either of those wrongs, but personally I don't think people should be held responsible for what their ancestors did anyway (unless they feel what the ancestors did was right).

So, your family is relatively new to the United States?

Patsy Faye and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

Very much so. I barely speak the language. Somewhere along the line, my ancestors probably pillaged a village or two though.

14. Janice Martin

Registered

Well it seemed like a perfectly reasonable question to me.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

It was. I was joking with you. My parents are from Sweden but I never actually learned to speak Swedish, since the feeling was that we were in the United States, so we should speak English. When my grandparents were over, I would hear them speaking Swedish in the dining room but as soon as one of us kids came out, everyone would switch to English. I referred to Swedish as gibberish, and learned only to say thank you and you're welcome in Swedish, in order to amuse the grandparents. I think a couple of my uncles learned to speak English in the army during World War 2.

Janice Martin likes this.