Historic Louisiana Flooding

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Babs Hunt, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

For the past couple of days Louisiana has been getting some of the rain and flooding I have been used to seeing in Texas. My home area has definitely felt the effects of this rain. And yet because our home is up on blocks we have had no water in our home, while some of our neighbors houses on slabs are having water come into their homes. Today, with the rain continuing one of my daughters' homes has taken in water too. And while she is understandably upset by this, they do have flood insurance and her family is all fine and moved to a family member's home that is high and dry. We continue to pray for the safety of all in Louisiana at this time.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/dangerous-flash-flooding-sweeps-louisiana-mississippi/story?id=41327796

Pictures in our yard and side roads, etc.

IMG_3130.JPG IMG_3150.JPG IMG_3162.JPG IMG_3164.JPG

Pictures at my daughter's home and property.

13962619_10153627629641207_1195346609402958181_n.jpg 13906668_10153627572931207_1774979452332056851_n.jpg 13962579_10153627629131207_8162127646853833622_n.jpg

2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Gee, this thread is scary. We live in a low-lying area and this suburban town is usually submerged when there are strong typhoons. Right now there is no typhoon but forecast of rains seem correct since last week. Our extended garden is already inundated for days and I'm afraid that the soil will be over-saturated with water and will eventually cause flooding here. Like what happened in 2009 when the rains were intermittent but consistent with heavy downpour for 7 days that resulted in a great devastating flood in Metro Manila.

It's good that the flood is not that high in the pictures. At least the cars look quite safe.

PS. Right now it is pouring and we are anticipating flash floods in the streets.

3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I've been seeing the pictures on the news. I didn't even realize it was going on until i saw a friend in Mississippi posting about it the other day on Facebook. That's whey i started paying attention to the news and weather. I then learned it was headed our way. There have been some areas of Houston flooded as well, but nothing near me, and I don't think to the extend that Mississippi and Louisiana have gotten it. The rain/storms are still in the forecast through tomorrow, so my fingers are crossed that it's over, or that what is still to come won't be that severe. Glad your daughter has insurance and hopefully there won't be that much damage, or it will be easily remediated.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Wow, just saw this Babs....glad you're on blocks but be careful out and about!

Send California all the water. :)

Same goes for Corie and Diane!

5. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I have family in the Lake Charles and Sulphur area of Louisiana so I have been following this story. I am sorry about your daughters home. I hope she had flood insurance.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  6. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I saw on the news that less than half the people in the area with the worst flooding have flood insurance. I'm sure they'll expect the taxpayers to buy them a new house.
    I feel sorry for those that lost so much in the floods, but flood insurance is relatively cheap.

7. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Hope all goes well and back to normal soon.

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Remember how Bush was excoriated in the press and by the Democrats for simply flying over the areas hit by Hurricane Katrina. He said that he didn't want to get in the way of the rescue and recovery efforts, yet that wasn't good enough. Yet Louisiana floods, and Obama is on a golfing vacation, but hardly a word is said.

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

True about Obama but to be honest I don't follow news about him at all. I have no idea where he is or what he's doing.

Diane Lane likes this.
  10. Ken Anderson

He's on his twelfth day of vacation.

Diane Lane and Chrissy Cross like this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thank you! Where did he go golfing?

12. Ken Anderson

Some golf resort in Massachusetts.

13. Diane Lane

Registered

He's vacationing on Martha's Vineyard again, @Chrissy Page, where the high mucky mucks go. It's important to squeeze in all the vacation/golf time he can while he's still in office. God forbid he should foot the bill for his (and his family's) extravagant junkets around the U.S. and the world. Speaking of paying his own way, that's exactly what Trump did, and he brought in an 18-wheeler full of emergency supplies with him to Louisiana. Killary phoned it in to the governor, rather than stopping by to see how the little people are faring.

14. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

she is so sick she cannot get off the sofa

Yvonne Smith and Diane Lane like this.
  15. Diane Lane

Registered

It disgusts me how the liberals and press piled on George Bush for only flying over the Katrina damaged area. It was obvious that he was affected by it, rather than faking emotion the way others do. That same press and group on the left is silent about Obama ignoring not only the Louisiana floods, but also many other situations that he doesn't care about, such as attacks on police.