Hide- A- Key Metal Security Box

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Cody Fousnaugh, May 20, 2019.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Do you have and use one?

We had one on the truck we just sold, but the buyer will toss it...….if he can find it. I told him in a PM that it was behind the front bumper attached to the chassis, but. That box had both an apartment key and another ignition key in it. When we first bought the truck, it had an alarm on it, but ended up disconnecting it and taking it out for some repair we had done.

We have one on our Durango also, but (LOL) have forgot where I hid it. I know I attached it to the chassis and I think it's in the front, but just don't remember. It just has an apartment key in it, because an ignition alarm will go off if we leave the ignition key in and open the door. Anyway, our ignition key is also our vehicle alarm and has a battery in it. Won't even fit in the Security Box we bought for the Durango.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

We use one of those on our motorhome, because of an incident that happened on our very first RVing trip. :D We had driven 800 miles and finally got to our destination. I got out to "direct" my husband backing into the campsite. When he was in a suitable spot, he also got out to check the distance to the hookups. As the one and only door slammed behind him, it locked. (Most Class A RVs only have a single door, unlike Class Cs which have the truck cab and 3 doors.) The RV was still running and our little dog was inside.

After calling Roadside Assistance to help open the dang thing, our next purchase was a magnetic spare key holder to hide in one of the compartments. (We had spare keys, but unfortunately they were inside the running RV in my handbag.)

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

No I don't have one, but I've been thinking of getting one for a long time... . Last summer I shut the door behind me and didn't have my keys on me, each of us thought the other had the keys.. so it cost £100 to call an emergency Locksmith

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I used to use one but the last one I bought probably fell off the first time I hit a bump. Either the magnet wasn't very strong or cars are using different metal today.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Not to long after moving into our apartment, we forgot and left the vehicle and door keys, which were on a keyring, inside the apartment. Luckily, I accidently didn't completely shut the one side of our living room window. I was able to open take the screen off of the window, open the window enough to get myself in and get the keys.

If the complex office is open, they will give the spare key to the resident to open the door, but that key has to be returned. If the office isn't open, it's written in the complex policies that Maintenance can't unlock the door of a residence, even though Maintenance does have a master key. Now, if law enforcement requires entrance to an apartment, Maintenance will open it.

A resident has to call a locksmith and, from what I've heard, a locksmith has to drill into both the deadbolt and regular door lock to open a locked door. The resident has to pay for the locksmith and they also have to pay for new locks to be installed.

I think, because I really don't remember where I placed the Hide-A-Key box, that has our apartment key in it, on our Durango, we'll have to buy another one and put it on the Durango somewhere. BUT, this time, I have to write down where I put it on the vehicle.

Ken Anderson likes this.