Hi-tech Perverts And Peeping Tom Drones

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Martin Alonzo, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

We've had a few cases of this in the Houston area. I'm seeing the stories more and more, and it seems inevitable that at some point, we will be spied on, especially in the more densely populated urban areas. I think there are positive reasons to use drones, and I'd like to have one myself, mainly to see the wildlife and nature around here, but it would also be interesting to see what's going on in the common areas of the neighborhood where I live. I wouldn't spy on people in their homes, and if I flew overhead, it would be more a means of getting to/from my place than an attempt to spy on neighbors in their backyards. I really don't care what they're doing, as long as it's not hurting anyone/thing, but I'm sure there would probably be some here who would be suspicious, as I probably would be if one flew over my yard. I hate the thought of more government rules and regulations, but it seems as if we'll have to deal with yet more encroachment on our freedoms, because some will always take advantage and cause problems.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  3. Martin Alonzo

Registered

It would be interesting to find out the frequency these drones use a make a transmitter that is on the same frequency long as your power does not exceed the legal limit you would be OK but you would bring them down and if they landed on your property you would have a claim of ownership or at least charge them with trespassing. I think it could be quite entertaining

Yvonne Smith and Ike Willis like this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I would return the drone if it landed on my property, I return balls that kids throw over my fence by mistake.

I didn't know there was such a law that if it's on your property it's yours. What about a pkg that's delivered by mistake to my porch....can I keep it?

There been peeping toms for ages, lol...now it's just easier and more fun maybe.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Actually, I think you can. There was a law passed several years ago that said something to the effect that if something is delivered to you that you didn't ordered, you are not required to return it or pay for it. This was intended to curb companies that would ship unordered products to people knowing that a large percentage of them would pay for them rather than pay to return them. I don't know whether this applies to things that were shipped to you accidentally, but I know that UPS has delivered packages that I have ordered to the wrong address more than once, and Amazon.com would simply send me another one. I doubt that anyone asked the recipients of these packages to return or pay for these things. I don't know that this would apply to drones, though. That would be a bit like saying, if a plane crashes on my land, I can keep it.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    Sheldon Scott and Chrissy Cross like this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

True about Amazon. I called them once because it said my pkg was delivered and I didn't see it, so I called Amazon and they did a search and said it was, I said I don't have it. So they said they'll ship another one the next day.

Later I looked and it was in my mailbox, but I called them back and told them I made a mistake. I'm honest...what a waste if I'm not going to heaven anyway. :)

Yvonne Smith and Sheldon Scott like this.
  7. Ken Anderson

If it were up to me, I'd let you in, @Chrissy Page, even though you are Catholic. ;)

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

9. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I heard a drone around my house one day...I think that is what it was. I mean I can't imagine what else it could have been. However, why someone would fly a drone up here I have no idea. I have the feeling you will be hearing about them crashing into cars, and so forth. I think some have already crashed into planes. It seems like there will definitely have to be some regulation around them because otherwise too many issues could develop.

10. Ken Anderson

I wouldn't mind having one that I could fly over my land while I'm out there so that I could see what animals are around in real time, as well as begin better able to map out the land.

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I think it would be fun but start with a few cheap ones that you don't mind breaking. Ive only have seen the ones sold for kids...well teens. Takes practice.

K E Gordon likes this.
  12. Martin Alonzo

Registered

These drones look like fun and I would not want to give someone ideas. Now a bomber only needs a drone with an explosive and fly it anywhere they don’t need the suicide vest any more.
    The prices are now quite reasonable next to no regulation and how would you stop it.

Sheldon Scott and Chrissy Cross like this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered