Hi, I’m Yvonne, And I Am A Twitterholic...

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Yvonne Smith, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

(Everyone says “Hi, Yvonne”, at this point)

I had to debate where to put this thread, but I think that it fits my purpose best , here in online education.
    My story is that I had no idea what Twitter even was for quite a while, and thought it was a place to see what movies stars were “tweeting”, and I had no interest in that.
    Since I interact with my friends and family on Facebook where I can write more and post pictures easily; I didn’t see any reason for using Twitter to do that, either. I made an account, and ignored it for around 2 years.

My addiction started when I realized that what I was reading about often, was things that President Trump had posted on Twitter
    Since I had already made an account there, I decided to try following my president and see what his actual words were, and not just what the news media told me he said.

Then, I started following more of the real committed journalists on Twitter, as well as news-reporters who were actually on the scene of the news and could report on it.

After that, I wanted to see what Homeland Security was saying, as well as the military and special-ops people.
    There are a lot of retired military that still understand what is going on much better than any newspaper reporter does, and I really enjoy learning what they have to say.

Now, I follow a lot of the patriots from Qanon, the attorneys like the one for Nick Sandmann, (who is about to take on another case that should be important.) I follow over 250 accounts, and between them all, I feel like i am getting a better grip on what is actually happening in the world.

If you have not tried Twitter, and wonder why you are missing important news, and maybe noticed that a lot of the news you see on Facebook came from Twitter originally; you might want to make an account there and start following people who are making real news.
    If you discover that it is addicting, we can have group meetings once a month, but I don’t know about actual recovery.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Mary Miller

Mary Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I didn't realize twitter was more than snippets of gossip from people, like birds on a wire, who didn't have time to write much more!

Beth Gallagher and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

That is what I thought , too, @Mary Miller ! It is like looking at a rose, and thinking that all flowers are the same. With Twitter, you can follow any person , company, or organization that you are interested in .
    Since I live in Huntsville, I follow Redstone Arsenal, Huntsville Utilities, and other local things that might have important news. It is similar to following people or companies on facebook, in that respect; but you can follow a lot more people and read what is there. I think Twitter is about the fastest way to get information about any news going on anywhere.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith ..;)you go right a head. Because I for one don't care about more crappy news. A good book beats that or FB anytime for me.:D

Beth Gallagher and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Lobelia Sackville

Lobelia Sackville Well-Known Member
    Registered

I used to be on Twitter but had to close out my account; I kept getting too many marriage proposals. (Well, okay; just one; but still.)

6. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Straight from the horses mouth and unfiltered is what I think you are saying Yvonne. I should check it out but I can only take so much internet.

7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I love Twitter... it's one of the few places you can find the truth anymore. That's where you can find me most days now.

Lois Winters and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

I am Happyflowerlady if you want to friend me on there, @Babs Hunt (or anyone else here who is on Twitter).

Babs Hunt likes this.
  9. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

I purposely had avoided joining any group like Twitter, FB, Reditt, or others .The reason is that they track you. I'm not so conceited as to think some government agency might find my opinions a threat to national security. It's just that I personally don't want to be tracked by anyone for any reason.
    After some of Yvonne's post about what she'd seen on Twitter and finding that some of the people I wanted to know more about kept their actions updated on Twitter, I joined.

There's another factor. Oftentimes the information you get on the web is weeks or months old. An advantage of this is that, by.hindsight, this older information is easier to evaluate. Ostensibly, whether it is false or true, Twitter is telling you what's going on NOW. The disadvantage, as far as plausibility, that ensues can be partly countered by accessing multiple sources to.compare information. This seems to be Yvonne's tactic, which I applaud.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

There has been enough information about government tracking , that I believe that if the government wants to track someone (or everyone), they have the necessary equipment to do so. I don’t think that there is any reason for wanting to track me specifically, either; but I am pretty sure they could do that whether or not I used Twitter or other social media.
    Just being online allows that, as well as a cell phone, or even a smart TV.
    Twitter has people from all over the world posting, so there is news just about as fast as it is happening and some gets there with a cell phone camera to share the news.
    When I see someone posting something that I think is relevant, then I follow that person, and a lot of the Qanon people are on Twitter; so I am following a lot of them also.

Dwight Ward likes this.
  11. Rene Descartes

Rene Descartes Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I love Twitter. I reply to Trump at least once a week with "You're an idiot."

Lobelia Sackville likes this.
  12. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

13. Dwight Ward

Registered

You know, somehow I doubt that's your real name. Descartes was a man and died along time ago. Plus, he would have loved Trump.

14. Rene Descartes

Rene Descartes Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

You think? Therefore you must be human and alive. When I made this account, it encouraged to use a username not my full real name. Rene is my actual name, Descartes was just funny.
    I also doubt you are Harrison Ford (head tilt).

15. Dwight Ward

Registered

You know I was just teasing. Rene is a beautiful name.