Here Is Some Of What We Grow

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Don Alaska, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We grow almost everything that can be grown at this latitude on this side of the world. Here is a picture of my wife organizing her display at the Fair a couple years ago. She leaves most of her flowers at home.

[​IMG]

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Looks good!

I like different colored carrots.

I like her vest also. :)

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Don Alaska Only recently, I became aware of various colored Cauliflower, other than white. Have seen purple and green, and wonder if purple signifies higher antioxidant content, as in other vegetables.
    Frank

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm going to start buying frozen fruit for smoothes. Pitted some fresh cherries for a smoothie. What a mess. Also peeling a mango is quite a mess. Gets my hands all messy. Frozen fruit should be easier to handle.

And there is no farmer in my DNA. Back when I was young and poor, I tried to have a vegetable garden, year after year. Really the only thing I've been able to grow is a mustache.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  5. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

It does, @Frank Sanoica. The purple cauliflower also doesn't need to be blanched (wrapped) to keep it white. There is also yellow/orange cauliflower with carotenoids. My wife doesn't like the green stuff so well, so we stopped growing it, although we used to grow it. I think the green in the picture is Romanesco, which is sometimes listed as a cauliflower and sometimes as a broccoli. I think it kinda looks like a light green tumor, but it is one of my wife's favorite veggies. At our sales, people used to think the purple and orange cauliflowers were weird and didn't want to try it as they believed that it was somehow spoiled. In recent years, we sell out now that folks know what it is.

6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Oooh that's quite a lot of fruit and veggies, good thing your wife can sell the surplus.. or does she grow to sell?

7. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

We used to sell at the farmer's markets, but when we had children at home, we ended up shorting ourselves to sell to others...so we stopped. Recently, with the kids gone, we sell at one August sale and sometimes at a local farmer's market. You do realize that the photo is just a display of some of what we grow, not the total harvest, right? Our local fair rewards people who set up displays of things that are grown on their farm, and we get the produce back. Carol (wife) makes in the neighborhood of $200 for displaying the produce every year if she chooses to set up two display (sequential).

8. Holly Saunders

Registered

WoW so it's a win win situation for you as a family?

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Yep. We grow much of our own food. When I was able, we also had livestock, so meat and milk (and milk products) were also on the "table".

Marie Mallery and Holly Saunders like this.
  10. Holly Saunders

Registered

The royal family grow all their own food ... and along with doctors to attend to their every ailment immediately...I do believe that all the organic and carefully grown food, is what keep them living long lives and more importantly very active mentally .. hopefully the same will happen with you and your family Don

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  11. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I just had my daughter walk around the house and take some pictures. We have not had rain in a month everything is dry Bread fruit.jpg CoConut.jpg Mango 1.jpg Mango.jpg Rulo 1.jpg Soursop.jpg Sweet oranges.jpg Tangerine 1.jpg Lemon.jpg Sour orange.jpg

12. Martin Alonzo

Registered

Sorry the names did not show up Bread fruit , Coconut, lemons, sweet oranges, sour oranges, mango some weighing 4lbs sour-sop, tangerines, rulo something like a banana but can stand it dry, We also have mansana de oro [gold apple] Mansona de oro.jpg photo

13. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Martin Alonzo
    What wonderful fruit, and to be able to raise it yourself! I envy you! All I have is Pomegranates, Figs, and a few Oranges!
    Frank

14. Martin Alonzo

Registered

I planted some and others just showed up from throwing out seeds, I am forever getting rid of Pomegranates as they show up all over.

Don Alaska likes this.
  15. Holly Saunders

Registered

WoW...you ,must barely ever have to buy food at all....fantastic