Here Is Common Core In A Nutshell!

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Brittany Houser, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Avigail David

Avigail David Veteran Member
    Registered

I heard from a GOP front-runner to becoming president of the United States, he said that he will abolish Common Core (yay!). And bring education back to homes and families. I imagine how traditional training-learning education would look and feel like without CC.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  2. Maisie Morton

Maisie Morton Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think they want to make sure the kids know where the answer comes from and why a method works, instead of teaching them just algorithms( this is the way we do it)

I think it is a mistake ,. It takes too much time to teach all of the arithmetic they need to know.

They also try to teach something several ways, because some children have different learning styles.

This really takes a lot of time.

And now they are introducing prealgebra in 4th or 5th grade, We would have never learned our arithmetic

if we had to have all that thrown in.

I can understand their counting up method if you want to compute 62-29 in your head. But for every problem, especially with 3 or 4 digit numbers
    i think we should stick to the old way, and teach mental calculations for those who are done with their work ahead of time.

Starting at 29, it takes 1 to get to 30, then another 30 to get to 60, and then 2 more.

S0 answer is 1 + 30 + 2 = 33. 62
    ____

Kids in my class used to do this naturally and I thought they were seeing the vertical problem in their
    heads, and I couldn’t see how they could do it.