Here Comes Maria

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Martin Alonzo, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The next major hurricane on its way. 205956_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I was just looking at that, and it looks like this one will also go right over top of you, @Martin Alonzo . Has DR recovered enough from Irma to handle another storm this fast ?
    My daughter had a friend who was in Puerto Rica when Irma went through, and he said it was pretty bad there, and now they are getting hit again.
    There is another one (Lee) that is following behind Maria, and it looks like Jose is still turning in circles off the shore of the east coast, so that storm could still cause problems, too.

3. Martin Alonzo

Registered

It looks like lee is heading north no problem the forecast for Maria looks now like it will hit the Puerto Rico and the east coast of the DR and then head north missing the US. Well that is there forecast for now but like all weather forecasts they all change

4. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Well-Known Member
    Registered

The models are fairly consistent out through 120hours, but then go haywire..
    Examples: American gfsmaria.gif

European: EuroMaria.gif

The American is a bit north of the European. Stay safe!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Martin Alonzo

Registered

084205_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png
    Looks like a dead hit on Puerto Rico the country is financially bankrupt and now this

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Nothing is forecast to hit Florida, thank God. Don't need anymore!

7. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Maybe Hillary will send some of the profits from her new book to help those poor people in Puerto Rico. :D

8. Martin Alonzo

Registered

Shirley were you dreaming again

9. Martin Alonzo

Registered

Hurricane party at my house on Thursday everyone is welcome we had a good time for Irma.

Yvonne Smith and Harry Havens like this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The hurricane is now at Cat 5, with winds of 160mph. Are you feeling anyof the storm system yet, @Martin Alonzo ?
    It looks like thisone will go right up our east coast, too, so you might get another taste of hurricane after all, @Cody Fousnaugh . Time to stock up just in case !

Martin Alonzo likes this.
  11. Martin Alonzo

Registered

ScreenShot_20170918211832.png

The closes point for the storm [Maria] will be 78 miles from where I live in will be here 3 days and 6 hours. That is if it stays on its course. Lots of time to make party planes

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  12. Harry Havens

Registered

And you're on the left side! Plus, while Maria is Category 5, hurricane force winds extend outward only 25 miles. Some margin for error.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  13. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Martin Alonzo do you have an emergency evacuation site for your area? I too have played through a few hurricanes, but there was also a couple that called for evacuation. I was very grateful to have a safe place to go to. I've been so involved with my own recovery after hurricane Harvey, that I didn't remember that you are in such a vulnerable position. Let us know how you fair through all this weather, but most of all, stay safe. :)

14. Martin Alonzo

Registered

I guess the party is going to be canceled because the main attraction did not want to come. The Dominican Republic scares these Hurricanes they are planned to attend and than run away. Feel sorry for the people in Puerto Rico as they met Maria head on see some photos from friends and it is not pretty

15. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm not sure that this is the right place to put it but there was a man in Florida a few years ago that built a hurricane proof house. It was dome shaped and built out of something that lapped upward so the wind would skim over it and not tear it apart. I wonder if it has been through a hurricane? Has anybody heard about it? If it worked, it would be ideal for building in places that often have hurricanes.

Ina I. Wonder and Yvonne Smith like this.
  16. Harry Havens

Registered

Not sure if this is what you were talking about, but http://www.deltechomes.com/learn-more/hurricane-resistance/
    Interestingly enough that website puts its facebook page up as testimonials, where I found this... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155852917133939&set=p.10155852917133939&type=3&theater

Although in fairness to Deltec... Cat 5 starts at 157mph and Irma had gusts up to 220mph, which is twice the lateral force of a 157mph wind. Also flying debris can magnify lateral force. There is no doubt a structure could be built to withstand those forces, including debris... but at what cost? Then there is the matter of flooding, storm surge, loss of power, loss of utilities, isolation, etc.

17. Harry Havens

Registered

18. Martin Alonzo

Registered

We are sitting on the edge of the hurricane over night we had rain bands go through right now overcast and light winds. The weather reports say the wind will increase to 60 miles an hour but seeing is believing. There was damage in Punta Cana on the est end of the island. Everything is good here

19. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

@Martin Alonzo , my daughter and a group of friends are going for a week to Puerta Plata in January, have you heard anything about that place?

20. Martin Alonzo

Registered

There being hit right now but probably little damage and they will have it all cleared up by then. If you would like I will PM my phone number to you and you can give it to them if they have any questions or need help.

21. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks, don't want to bother you...January is a ways off. The people that own the resort will probably be notified if there's a lot of damage. It belongs to my daughter's aunt in law.

They waited til after Irma to buy their airline tickets and they did buy them last week.

22. Martin Alonzo

Registered

Hope they enjoy their holiday. Puerto Plata is about 35 miles from me

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  23. Chrissy Cross

Registered

They should. They're all staying in a house on the beach that has a full staff with butler and cook etc.

I will be watching my 13 yr old grandson that week while his mom and dad have some R &R. :)

Yvonne Smith and Martin Alonzo like this.
  24. Martin Alonzo

Registered

We have had heavy rains off and on the rivers all over their banks and a lot of flooding.Wind damage here is at a minimum, We hear that there has been loss of life because of the rain and flooding. We are still having heavy rain as I am typing this. I think we are looking rain for a few days