Here Come's Irma

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Gary Ridenour, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I am glad to hear that you are doing okay, @Cody Fousnaugh , and I hope that the weather people are wrong and this storm just plays itself out without doing as much damage as they have been predicting.
    Try to keep us updated when you can and we will be saying prayers for you just like we did for Ina in Texas when she had the Harvey hurricane.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thanks!

3. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I heard the die hard's on the Keyes changed their minds. long gone

4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I hope they did. If they didn't, it's gonna be a loooong night.

It looks like Irma is going to miss us entirely. But, please note, I am not complaining. It might hit @Louise Williams but hopefully by then, it will be mostly rain.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

There's a Storm Chaser crew, from The Weather Channel, that is staying at a concrete hotel, on the 4th floor, in Key West. They were just reporting on the Weather Channel and said there was a rather large group of Key West residents in the hotel lobby with them.
    They said they have enough food and water for 2-weeks plus.

One thing to remember, all First Responders (law enforcement, fire/rescue and emergency medical personnel) are required to stay in all areas.

6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

@Martin Alonzo glad to hear you and your family made it through Irma without to many problems.

@Cody Fousnaugh praying for y'all and our family and friends in JAX...may y'all all be kept safe while Irma makes her visit....and we all hope it's a very short visit there.

Yvonne Smith and Martin Alonzo like this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Right now (8:15AM), we are doing fine.
    We have wind and been having some downpours. We still have a Nor'easter going on.

We won't get much of Irma until this evening. I just took a look at three of our parking areas and all are full. Weird, hugh?

Babs Hunt likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Registered

I can see on my Weather Channel radar map that it looks like you are still getting part of the storm you had yesterday, but now it shows that you are also starting to get some of the outer edges of Irma as well, @Cody Fousnaugh . Yesterday, it looked like the storm was trying to move out; but now it is part of the outer swirl of the hurricane and coming back west again.
    We already have a tropical storm warning in effect here in Huntsville, which is in the northern part of Alabama, and the storm should start getting her tomorrow afternoon, so the hurricane must indeed be enormous for it to be reaching this far when it is still going through Florida.

9. Gloria Mitchell

Gloria Mitchell Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I can undetstand somewhat why first responders and etc must remain in the area. However I do not understand the necessity of having news reporters having to be hurled around just for the sake of getting live reports. One reporter from looks not even 100 lbs... The wind all but carried her off!

10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm sure many News people jump at the chance to go and cover the "latest news" no matter what! :)

Gary Ridenour and Martin Alonzo like this.
  11. Gary Ridenour

Registered

it does look good on they're resume when they climb to the ivory towers. provided they live

Babs Hunt likes this.
  12. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

You do notice that it is the young ones out there in the midst of the latest news....and the older ones sitting behind the desks sharing it with us. :)

Gary Ridenour likes this.
  13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

In more than twenty years living near the Gulf, in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas, we weren't hit by any major hurricanes. Hurricane Gilbert was a major hurricane but we were on the outer edges of it, and didn't fare too badly. A few people lost their roofs, and I came close to losing my head to someone's metal roof, as it went flying past me to crash into a building across the street.

Los Fresnos was a little bit inland so we set up a couple of shelters in our school building for those who didn't leave early enough to make it to one of the established shelters further inland.

I was the EMS director but we couldn't put any of our ambulances on the road because the winds were too high, but we could get around in one of the much heavier fire trucks, and I was a lieutenant in the fire department too. In fact, we transported one patient to the hospital in the fire truck.

We set up first aid stations in both of the shelters, staffed by our paramedics, as well as a couple of doctors and nurses who lived in town.

I would bring supplies and check in on the shelters every now and then, as the phones were out, and radio reception was sketchy, and we'd check in on a few of the older people who were known to have medical conditions, who had opted to stay in their homes, using the fire truck to get around.

Mostly, I stayed in the city hall building with the police and fire chiefs, city manager, mayor, and public works director. The hurricane was predicted to hit us head on, but then turned south and hit Mexico instead. Because we were expecting worse, the city had stocked up on food, so I think I gained ten pounds in two days.

14. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I had to laugh once when I seen a reporter on the weather channel showing how strong the winds were in a hurricane he was leaning into it but behind him some one walked by totally normal

15. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

:p

Gloria Mitchell likes this.
  16. Shirley Martin

Registered

If I hear one more reporter say "Can you give us a sense of~~~~~~~" , I'm going to scream. Or, "What's it like ~~~~~" . Well, the wind is blowing and it's raining really hard, stupid!

Gloria Mitchell likes this.
  17. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Shirley Martin , can you give us a clearer sense of how frustrated you have become? ;)

Shirley Martin and Yvonne Smith like this.
  18. Gloria Mitchell

Registered

Now now...dont unleash. Hurricane Shirley on us:D

Shirley Martin and Yvonne Smith like this.
  19. Gloria Mitchell

Registered

I am right now witnessing on live tv the stupidity of people ! Walking about in the area where the ocean water floor was sucked out by the storm....which will come back.
    WTH is wrong with people:mad:

20. Gary Ridenour

Registered

the Ocean has pulled back. usually a sign of a Tsunami. what's up with this?? I assume you don't want to be around when it comes in?? this is Long Island, Bahamas

21. Gary Ridenour

Registered

as expected

22. Yvonne Smith

Registered

It looks like Irma is almost out of Florida, and heading through the bottom part of Georgia and then up through Alabama, and on into Tennessee.
    We have tropical storm warnings in effect through tomorrow, and the radar shows the edges of the storm are almost here. We should start getting some rain in a few hours, and then storms (squalls the weather channel says) for the rest of the afternoon.
    We don't expect it to be much more than a rain storm here, no they said tornadoes are unlikely, although one never knows for sure about that until it happens.
    In any case, I have a pot of beans in the crockpot for our meal, so even if it did get bad enough that we lose power, we stilll have food prepared ahead of time.
    The little dogs are going to have to get all. Of their outside running around done this morning; because i know they will not want to be outside once the storm hits.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  23. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

Although Jacksonville has flooding I am so happy to hear from family and friends that they are all just fine. Hope you and your wife are to @Cody Fousnaugh.

Chrissy Cross and Yvonne Smith like this.
  24. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Rescue efforts
    People Rescue Air Jordans from Foot Locker During Hurricane Irma

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  25. Shirley Martin

Registered

Hurricane Shirley would be like a gentle spring breeze. ;)

Yvonne Smith likes this.