Herbal Supplements Versus The Real Thing

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Corie Henson, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I've taken cranberry pills when I had a UTI after swimming in a pool. Also took antibiotics so don't know what helped.

I continued taking the cranberry pills and didn't have any more UTIs, also didn't go swimming. So no UTI while on cranberry pills. Then when I ran out, I quit taking the cranberry pills and no UTI either.

I have heard its beneficial for that but I can't prove it either way.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  2. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't know if I can call it "proof" but when my daughter was little, she had an infection that hit really fast and furious and we ended up in the ER. They went out of their way to keep bringing her cranberry juice, so I knew there was something to it... just glad no one here has needed it often over the years.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I do start taking them if I'm going somewhere that has a pool...just in case. But I've become phobic about pools and usually just put my feet in or if I do go in, I run and get of my wet suit and shower right away.

4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

We had a number of Persimmon trees in Missouri, their fruit puts the "puckeriness" of Cranberries to shame!
    Frank

Patsy Faye and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Well I like both the real thing if you know what it is and you know how to use it and supplements are both good. Both supplements and the real thing works for me, so far so good! I'm taking some remedies for my bursitis that flared up and is going away too with a lot of supplements, exercise and acetaminophen too. I'm am going to drink pineapple wine that we got one Christmas a few years back. Got a new wine cork remover too from Walmart that costs 3.66...hope it works too for pineapple is supposed to stop the pain from bursitis. Got some ginger tea that was on sale with zero sugar for my bursitis too and today it's doing much better.

6. Teresita Campaner

Teresita Campaner Veteran Member
    Registered

I seldom buy herbal supplements not because of anything but it might have some reactions with my maintenance medicine for hypertension. Also,in my opinion, a nutritionally balanced diet is more important than the vitamins and herbal supplements that we buy for our health.

Chrissy Cross and Mari North like this.
  7. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Would it be nice to get off the drugs that maintain your problem? My mother-in-law had enlarged heart, congestive heart failure, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. Taking supplements 90 days later her doctor took her off all her drugs and said she was cured.
    My wife grandmother had had two strokes and was about to have another half her body dead but she did not want to go to the hospital so I told my wife to give her certain foods next morning no problem that was a year ago
    A friend has had acid reflux for years told him what to do and now he is running around the country telling everyone how to cure acid reflux.
    A weight lifter who had herniated discs seen the doctor for pain and was given a shot and told never to lift weights again. I told him what to eat and now he is an instructor at the gym and lifting weights without pain.
    A farmer living close was losing many of his chickens and turkeys I gave him some special water and from that day on he never lost another.
    I could list many many more but that is my experience with nutrition.

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I would never suggest for someone to stop taking their meds, Martin. I really find the first story hard to believe, maybe she was misdiagnosed but whatever....my point is people shouldn't just stop taking a med without consulting with their dr. Some meds if stopped can cause serious problems.

There's a difference between giving advice about how to get rid of dandruff and giving advice on CHF and high blood pressure, strokes and cancer.

I really do like you Martin but I just don't agree with you on some things.....all things, lol.

We just have very different viewpoints. Maybe if a dr killed my mom or something I'd think differently but so far there's been no harm done by drs or meds that they needed.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  9. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Chrissy her cardiologist took her off her drugs not me. There was a EKG and blood test and he also took her blood pressure. The doctor wanted to come here that what she was told but of course he did not.

10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

All I can say is I'm glad she's well, Martin.