Henry Gwyn - Jeffreys Moseley

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Frank Sanoica, May 15, 2019.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Ever hear of him? My heart bleeds every damned time I think of his name.....since high-school Physics class, where I first heard of him. But the point of his existence as a Physicist was left out of the textbooks!

"Henry Gwyn Jeffreys Moseley (/ˈmoʊzli/; 23 November 1887 – 10 August 1915) was an English physicist, whose contribution to the science of physics was the justification from physical laws of the previous empirical and chemical concept of the atomic number. This stemmed from his development of Moseley's law in X-ray spectra.

Moseley's law advanced atomic physics, nuclear physics and quantum physics by providing the first experimental evidence in favour of Niels Bohr's theory, aside from the hydrogen atom spectrum which the Bohr theory was designed to reproduce. That theory refined Ernest Rutherford's and Antonius van den Broek's model, which proposed that the atom contains in its nucleus a number of positive nuclear charges that is equal to its (atomic) number in the periodic table.[1][2] This remains the accepted model today."

"Moseley was shot and killed during the Battle of Gallipoli on 10 August 1915, at the age of 27. Experts have speculated that Moseley could otherwise have been awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1916.[3][4]As a consequence, the British government instituted new policies for eligibility for combat duty."

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Moseley

This tragic loss of a scientist capable of becoming one of the world's foremost Physicists struck a chord in me carried for life. What possible degree of ineptitude could have allowed this?

Troubled me all my life.
    Frank

EDIT: " Isaac Asimov wrote, "In view of what he [Moseley] might still have accomplished … his death might well have been the most costly single death of the War to mankind generally."

in 1915, William Henry Bragg and William Lawrence Bragg, a British father-son pair, shared this Nobel Prize for their discoveries in the reverse problem — determining the structure of crystals using X-rays (Robert Charles Bragg, William Henry Bragg's other son, had also been killed at Gallipoli, on 2 September 1915"

Where in the hell were the British leaders' minds residing, in their asses?

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Bill Boggs likes this.