Help With My Roses!

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Lilly Smith, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Lilly Smith

Lilly Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

I bought a cute little house a couple of years ago that has a picket fence surrounded by rose bushes! I believe them to be knock-outs and American roses, but of course I am new to this, so not really sure. The first year they seemed to do well. I pruned them back and they came in quite well. The second year they came back but soon started to get brown spots all over the leaves and the blooms didn't stay on long, but fell off after blooming. I have used commercial type additives that was recommended by a web-site I saw on line, but they still look pretty rough to me. Any ideas out there for maybe home remedies? Thanks so much!!

2. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Lilly Smith, hello and welcome to our small forum.
    That happened to my roses this year as well, and they had the same symptoms as your's. But those same symptoms can apply to several conditions. I live just NE of Houston, Texas, and we had one of the worst rain seasons in our history. So I know my roses were totally drowned. They were under water for weeks at a time. Approximately what part of the world do you live in, and what were the weather conditions?

Ken Anderson likes this.
  3. Lilly Smith

Lilly Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

Hi there Ina! I live in Southern Middle Tennessee and yes, we did have a lot of rain earlier this year....do you think that could be the problem? We are not having unheard of HEAT as well! Poor flowers don't know what to do!!

4. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

@Lilly Smith, Roses are fairly new to me as well. I grew up on and around farms at least half of my years, but I did study horticulture for three years. Aside from my roses, the same symptoms affected some of my other plants, so I surmised that it must be the floods we had this spring. Did you notice this happening to the other foliage around your home.

There is also a condition known as Tobacco Mosaic. It is a desease of the nightshade family of plants, particularly tobacco and tomato, caused by the tobacco mosaic virus. It is characterized by mottled leaves and yellowed, necrotic plants. I have seen it affect roses as well.

So in the future, never allow anyone to throw their cigarette butts in your yard. It can take two or three years for it to leach out of your earth.

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Our roses (north Alabama) are just struggling along this year, too. All last summer the blossomed and grew. This year, we get a blossom every now and then, but the plants look scraggly and miserable. I think that it must be the weather, and if they can just keep going, maybe next year will be a good year for them.

My Jerusalem artichokes are doing great, and some of them are close to five feet tall now, and should soon start to blooming. It is really strange, but the ones that are along the sunniest part of the yard are the shortest ones, and the ones where there is more shade are taller.
    Joyce McGregor, my neighbor, gave them to me, and she said that they liked sunshine; so it is puzzling why the ones that have the best sun are the shortest. They were all planted this spring from the root starts that she gave me.
    I am hoping that by next year, they will be even thicker. The roots spread every year, and if they thicken up and get tall, we will have a summertime hedge along the front of the house by the road.

6. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

@Yvonne Smith, I was taught that plants that grow in partial to full sunlight will grow taller and fuller in partial light because they need more surface area to collect And process the sunlight.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Thank you, @Ina I. Wonder ! That makes a lot of sense, and that would explain why the ones in more shade are taller and fuller.
    As soon as they start to bloom, I willl take the camera out and take some pictures, so everyone can see what they look like.
    This year, it is just kind of a scraggly little row; but next year it should be a lot thicker, and maybe almost look like a hedge once we get into summer and they are tall again.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  8. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

We have no roses at home because my husband said it is not easy to raise them. But he also mentioned that the rose eats a lot of soil nutrients that you need to fertilizer it once a year - with fertilize, he means the dredging of the soil and adding potting materials like rice husks and composts. So maybe you need to fertilize your roses so it will go back to its former beauty.

9. Yvonne Smith

I don't know about in the Philippines; but most places in the United States have wild roses, and they seem to be able to grow and bloom just about anywhere. There probably aren't as many as there used to be , because housing developments and even fields where crops are grown, have pushed the wild roses out of many areas.
    When I lived in Idaho, the wild roses would bloom each spring, and then later in the summer or early fall, you could gather the rose hips to eat or make a jam out of them. They were a beautiful pink rose, but single petaled.

We have wild roses out in back of the property where we live now; but I have not seen them blooming this year either, and I think the weather just has not been favorable for roses this year. We have been adding some epsom salts to the water every now and then, which gives all of the plants some extra magnesium, and most of them seem to be greener afterwards .

Here is what the wild roses in Idaho look like when they blossom.
    image.jpg

Ina I. Wonder likes this.