Help Needed

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Shirley Martin, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

My computer has been running really slow lately. I've been looking for a cause. I found that something is leaking or using a large percent of my CPU. I have sort of figured out what to do about that on a temporary basis. But while I was looking, I found that Winferno Registry Cleaner is still running on here. I subscribed to it for a year and didn't see that it helped anything so I dropped it. I uninstalled it so why is it still there?

I press Control, alt, Delete and open Task manager. I click on Service and see Winferno is running. I right click and click on Stop. The dialog box says, "This operation could not be completed." "Access denied".

Any of you computer gurus know what I can do to get rid of Winferno?

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There was a time when I probably would have been able to help you but I have spent very little time on a Windows machine since 2008, and am not very familiar with PCs or Windows anymore. I have one PC but I rarely use it and have never had to troubleshoot it. I do remember having had similar problems when I was using Windows because one of the things that I have most appreciated in a Mac was that programs are uninstalled simply be dragging their icon to the trash can. That was sometimes complicated with Windows, and sometimes nearly impossible.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  3. Shirley Martin

Registered

Thanks, Ken. I seem to remember that a couple of the guys are techno smart. I hope one of them can help me.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

This is from my husband. Some computer users in their office complained of a slow down that sometimes lead to hanging. Both computers were using Kaspersky anti virus which has expired license. Upon closer look, the anti-virus software is updating itself hence it is eating most of the memory that causes the slowdown. The setting was changed to "manual update" and the problem vanished.

Our desktop computer is using AVG, a free anti-virus software. The setting of the updates is set to manual but it seems that the anti-virus is still doing its own update as evidenced by the pilot light of the hard disk (when the red light is on that means there is much activity in the hard disk). By the way, there are 2 updates - one is the virus list and the other is the program if there is a new version. The antidote is to disconnect the internet cable when booting the computer. There, the anti-virus couldn't reach their website so it would abort its sinister plan to update itself. And after the booting, the internet cable is attached and off we go with the internet.

5. Shirley Martin

Registered

Thanks, Corie. This is not an antivirus but the principle may be the same. I'll try that.

6. Shirley Martin

Registered

Ken, the first computer I had at work was a Mac. I loved it. Then they bought a new one and it was so different that I never liked it.

7. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

Sorry. But I am computer challenged. Wished I could help.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  8. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

"Computer challenged". I love that! In PHX, as the P.C. revolution was kicking in, one rebel news announcer was prone to report in the morning that there was a "technically challenged" vehicle stalled on I-10 at 51st. Ave.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

As Mrs. Doubtfire stated, "Help is on the way!" (if you seen the movie)!

I've had your problem happen to me and, after trying to stop the operation and unable to, had to take the computer tower in to a Service Center to have hard drive reformatted. Unfortunately, even though you thought you got rid of the program, it stayed and keeps running. This is why people have to be extremely careful about what they download from the Internet. You really need to get that programs stopped and out of your computer/hard drive!
    Another thing is, do you defrag your OS (operating system)? Defragging the system will put all of your apps/programs in order and easier for the computer to find. When the computer isn't defragged, apps/programs are all over the place on the hard drive.

Hope this helps.

10. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm far from a computer guru, but since you know when and why the program was installed, and that you no longer need it, you should be able to go to the Control Panel, click on Programs, look for that particular program, highlight it, and click Uninstall. I've had similar issues in the past, and am way beyond the time when I need to take another look at what all is on here and uninstall at least a few programs I no longer need.

Yvonne Smith and Joe Riley like this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

From what I understand, she already did this. Thing is, this is one of those programs that a person downloads from the Internet that simply stays even after uninstalled.
    Must have a Technician look at it and most likely have the reformatting done.

12. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Sometimes there is more than one program file for the same type of program. AOL was really invasive, and would attach itself to everything. I've done a basic search on the computer in the past and found programs related to one I've installed. I've then had to go and uninstall each one. Eventually that fixed the issue, but if it doesn't, it may be necessary to have a professional take a look at it.

Joe Riley likes this.
  13. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

@Shirley Martin, you can delete the program file after you have uninstalled it. I have done this several times.

Another suggestion is to restore your computer to an earlier time before you added this program. The only drawback is other programs that were added at that time would need to be installed again.

To do this go to the Start button and type in restore and select the one that says 'at an earlier time' or something to that effect. Then follow the prompts (messages). Before you start you will need to know when that program was installed. The process may give you a list to choose from.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    Joe Riley likes this.
  14. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh "Defragging the system.... "

The machine I'm using right now, my wife's, is a "Chromebook". I believe it has no hard drive. Are these things also "defraggable"?

Frank