Hello From Central Virginia

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Roger Marrs, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Roger Marrs

Roger Marrs Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hello everybody! My name is Roger and I live in a small town located in Central Virginia. I have traveled the US and some of Mexico with my previous work, I am now retired. Prior Military (USMC), 6 years Aviation (CH53D Helicopters). My hobbies include Woodworking, Gardening, Hiking in the Woods and Shooting. Looking forward to making some new Friends here.

2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Greetings @RogerNVA !! Let's see now, prior military....check. Rotary wing guy.....check. Woodworking.....check. Shooting......not much any longer but I do like the woods.
    Seems like we have a lot in common and I am definitely looking for some interesting conversations in the future. Welcome to our modest discussion group and I do hope you enjoy yourself.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    Bill Boggs and Roger Marrs like this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@RogerNVA Greetings and welcome! As an avid shooter/firearms fancier myself, I always perk up learning of someone sharing that interest! Currently, I am looking for a nice example of a High Standard Model 10-B shotgun, discontinued in 1970, formerly adopted by many law enforcement agencies. Originally produced as a "police shotgun", it is legal in every way for private ownership. As a kid, I gaped in awe at them, in the parked patrol cars in our neighborhood, where each car had one propped up vertically against the center of the dashboard......they are a Bullpup design, thus quite short, overall 28" I think. The one below has the optional extended magazine tube, allowing 7+1 rounds, 12 gauge.

• [​IMG]
    Again, welcome! Hope my post isn't too far out! Frank

Bill Boggs and Sheldon Scott like this.
  4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Hi Roger and welcome

Roger Marrs likes this.
  5. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Welcome Roger. It seems we have a lot in common too. I live on twenty five acres in West Central Arkansas. I had hiking trails crisscrossing our woods and around the lake. I've always loved to hunt and shoot I also like gardening, growing much of what we eat.
    Woe is me though as I no longer am able to do much of the above but do what I can.

Roger Marrs likes this.
  6. Roger Marrs

Registered

Nice Frank, Very Nice!
    I have thought several time of getting a shotgun but never have. I've always leaned towards the Bolt Action Rifles. I enjoy those long range shots on Groundhogs 500 - 800 yards. Go to getting beyond that and the sound of the shot begins to get to the target before the bullet does allowing the Groundhog to move and you have a miss. I use a 22-250, anything else above that for Groundhog is overkill. But yes Frank, that is a very nice setup there. I have seen several new models on the market but none like that.

Frank Sanoica and Bill Boggs like this.
  7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@RogerNVA Yessir, 22-250 is certainly a "zippy" little round, few are faster, .220 Swift comes to mind. My interest in the shotgun shown is it's short length: for self defense purposes within a home, swinging about a long-barreled protection piece could be quite a clumsy deal........the short shotgun would be perfect, plus, almost ensuring "no miss". Frank

Roger Marrs likes this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Welcome to the forum from California! :)

Roger Marrs likes this.
  9. Roger Marrs

Registered

Frank,
    Yes! A 12GA will clean house very quickly.

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Welcome to the forum. I live in a small town in mid-Maine, but have a camp on a hundred acres in far northern Maine, near Canada. We have people from throughout the English-speaking world here.

Yeah, I can identify with all of those, although some people wouldn't call what I do woodworking or, for that matter, gardening. Still, I enjoy it.

Don Alaska and Roger Marrs like this.
  11. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Welcome from warm and sunny North Carolina, @Roger Marrs . I hope your weather is as nice as ours is today.

Roger Marrs likes this.
  12. Roger Marrs

Registered

Thanks for the Welcome Shirley. Yes, the weather is beautiful today, expecting mid 80's tomorrow. Oh Yeah! I have a Daughter that lives in North Carolina. Willow Springs.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

It's about time it got warm. This has been the coldest March I can remember.
    I don't know where Willow Springs is located. It must not be near me.

Roger Marrs likes this.
  14. Betty Jones

Betty Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

hey roger-----welcome

15. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered