Heavy Traffic In Metro Causes Daily Loss Of 2b Pesos

Discussion in 'Energy & Fuel' started by Corie Henson, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

According to JICA (Japan International Cooperation Agency) studies, the Philippines is losing 2 billion pesos a day due to the heavy traffic on the roads. No exceptions, that's everyday. And the loss is mostly the fuel of the vehicles, the time wasted on the road, the lost opportunities. The regular travel of 1 hour is stretched to 3 hours because of the perennial heavy traftfic.

Since a few months back, traffic is not the main agenda of media since the president had given his opinion. He is thinking of implementing the odd/even scheme where a vehicle cannot be used 3 days in a week. Now the scheme is the number coding where a vehicle cannot be used one day in a week.

Amid the pile of suggestions, I wonder why the carless day is not mentioned. That carless day can be a start for people to think of other ways to travel, particularly to commute to work. Why not utilize the bicycle? And why not think of ways to decongest Metro Manila of the excessive population? It seems that everyone is coming to the city that no one is left to tend the farm anymore.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Have I mentioned that I can sometimes drive two hundred miles without seeing another car? If I have more than two cars in front of me, I call it a traffic jam.