Hearty One Pan Breakfast

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Diane Lane, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

What is a one-pan breakfast? Okay, I checked the link and read it fully. Now it gives me an idea that it is an imitation of pizza. Not on the negative tone but a positive imitation. Maybe I can try that using our non-stick pan and concoct a one-pan breakfast of vegetables that children don't relish. How about an omelet-like creation of asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli with a sprinkling of bacon and cheese for flavoring?

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

One-pan meals is a term to refer a food preparation that does not require separate dishes to get you serving a complete meal for lunch, dinner or supper.

One-pan meals include any type of produce, meat and else to make a flavor-rich preparation, and yet nutritious, so your omelet-like creation can also be ;)

And for this in the link, it sounds tasty and really easy to make @Diane Lane :)

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Joyce Mcgregor

Joyce Mcgregor Veteran Member
    Registered

I like to make a fritatta for breakfast or brunch. I usually make by starting with browning some sausage and putting it on a plate with some paper towel to let it drain. You can also used diced ham or bacon. Then I cook diced potatoes with onion and bell peppers in that leftover grease. I sprinkle the meat and mushrooms, canned or fresh, over the potatoes and then pour scrambled up eggs on top of that.. I let it cook for a bit until the eggs start to set around the edges, then I pop it into the oven to finish cooking. I usually set the oven around 359. When the eggs are almost set, I pull it out of the oven, top it with some grated cheese and put it back in the oven until the cheese melts and the eggs are set. Cut it into wedges and top with a bit of salsa, serve with toast or biscuits. My family loves it and it is one of our favorite one dish meals.
    I checked out the Taste of Home recipe and will definitly be trying it. I love that magazine and always find yummy recipes in it.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Diane Lane

Registered

Haha @Joyce Mcgregor If you're anything like me, that is supposed to say cook at 350. I'm forever hitting the 9 key for the 0. Your breakfast dish sounds delicious. I've never done the on top of the stove/oven combination cooking. My oven isn't the greatest, but thankfully the stove top works well. I usually cook on the stove top, and then after I put the cheese on top, I leave it on the burner and put a larger pan or a lid on top, so the cheese melts.

6. Diane Lane

Registered

Yes, @Corie Henson as @Carlota Clemens stated, it simply means to use one pan for preparation, meaning less pans to clean after the meal. That would be particularly appealing when camping, since washing dishes is a real chore when you don't have hot (and running) water. Your version sounds healthy and delicious. You could probably include a little starch in the form of potatoes, sweet potatoes, or something similar, as well, if you wanted. I tend to top all dishes like this with salsa verde, since that's my favorite, and I usually serve it with either biscuits or tortillas. The tortillas can be heated directly on the gas burner, if you have a gas stove. That's my favorite, then butter them, or use a bit of olive oil.

Corie Henson likes this.
  7. Corie Henson

Registered

You mentioned the word verde. This gets me thinking of what I had tasted in a classy cafe a long time ago. Pizza verde - with toppings of spinach and some other ingredients. But all I remember is the ground beef that mixed well with cheese and the spinach. As the server said, it is a healthy food so we always order that when we dine in there. A good match is a mug of root beer. The pizza crust is freshly made in the day and the ingredients are all fresh, the reason why it is a bit expensive than ordinary.

With that one pan breakfast, it is not catching my imagination because we sometimes cook an omelet with not so ordinary ingredients like white onions and tomatoes with chopped basil or sometimes bits of chinese with spring onions and garlic. It would be fun to experiment on that one pan breakfast of yours.

Diane Lane likes this.
  8. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

A lot of my meals are one pan, or skillet. First I fry up some ground beef or sausage. When it's about done I add some water and rice. When the rice is done, I add some veggies, then shredded cheese. If I do it all right, there is little or no liquid left in the skillet. Then, I simply eat out of the skillet. Quick and easy. Even a cave man can do it.:D

Diane Lane likes this.
  9. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I make a lot of casseroles or one skillet meals but just not for breakfast. I don't often eat a big breakfast but when I do I want it my way.

Diane Lane likes this.
  10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:This seems like a very good breakfast idea. I'd modify it a bit. I'd replace the bacon with veggie bacon. I love bacon and eggs for breakfast. Making it all in one pan just makes breakfast easier and everything is done at once. It's a wonderful idea to have everything in one pan. It looks so delicious too! Thanks for the tip!

11. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I like to make one pan meals and freeze them for later. I like the above recipe for a large group of people and it does not have to be just breakfast, add some salsa and it is a good snack.

Diane Lane likes this.
  12. Diane Lane

Registered

@Corie Henson Yes, verde is green in Spanish, so the spinach would definitely fit the bill. Spinach is a favorite of mine, and I recently came across a recipe for pizza using spinach! The salsa verde (green salsa, or 'hot' sauce) has different ingredients than salsa roja (red salsa/hot sauce), and doesn't bother my stomach. I know your husband has some digestive issues, so if red sauce bothers him, he could try salsa verde, if he hasn't already discovered this for himself. Root beer is my favorite soda, I will have to remember to buy some to have when I make the spinach pizza.

@Ike Willis That sounds delicious. I love that you eat it right out of the pan. I've been known to do that on occasion :).

@Sheldon Scott I'm a firm believer in having it my way. I usually don't make anything this elaborate for weekday mornings, but will occasionally do it on the weekends, or if I have company.

@Pat Baker I love making meals up in advance and freezing for later. They're great to have on hand for when you haven't had a chance to cook, but want a real meal, don't have time or the ingredients for a particular favorite, or when you're just plain tired.

13. Corie Henson

Registered

@Diane Lane, this may be out of topic. I just want to expound a bit on that spinach. No, I am not related to Popeye the Sailor Man, hahahaaa.

There is this soup in authentic Chinese restaurants called Seafood Spinach. It is like the usual Chinese soup that is thick and quite sticky. But aside from the bits of seafood, particularly shrimp and bits of clams I guess, the soup is green in color because of the strips of spinach. We never fail to order that soup whenever we would be dining in Chinese restaurants. The children love that too, they prefer that soup over the Nido soup which was popular with the bird's nest ingredient.

Back to the topic, I had sampled a dish brought by my staff as her birthday treat to us. It is a heavy breakfast consisting of fried rice with sausage and other meat that was cooked in coconut milk and flavored with spices. A complete meal that can be considered a one-pan breakfast. I am trying to ask for the recipe, hahahaaa.

Diane Lane likes this.
  14. Diane Lane

Registered

I've never seen the Seafood Spinach soup. It sort of sounds like clam chowder with spinach in it.I wonder if they cream some spinach into the dish before adding the seafood, to give it the color? I love spinach, and often add it when I make quiche. I've never cooked with coconut milk, but have wanted to, so I hope if you get the recipe that you share with us. I probably couldn't eat that for breakfast, but it sounds like a nice lunch or dinner.