Have You Thought About Writing a Book?

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Ruth Belena, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

All the more reason to write about the Dad you knew. Not a book,necessarily, but a record of your memories of him. If you don't...who will?

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I have two ideas for "Sure to be best sellers". Anybody want to help me write them? :D

3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

So many years ago, my husband joined a workshop to learn how to write scripts, particularly movie scripts. The instructor emphasized that writing a script is like writing a novel. So that's where the element of the book came about. They were taught to write an outline called storyline. When you write a book, that same procedure is used to make writing a novel easier.

The caveat in not using an outline is getting out of touch with your story. You have to remember what happened in chapter 1 when you are already in chapter 10. And if you don't have a good memory and you didn't create an outline, that's where the dominoes would fall.

4. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I've just had an email from my publisher to tell me that my manuscript has been copyedited. This means that I'm going to have to spend several hours reading my own book - a slightly bizarre prospect. At least I'll know what I'm letting other people in for.

Ina I. Wonder and Joe Riley like this.
  5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Congratulations,Tom!

Tom Locke likes this.
  6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

A novel would need a very long train!;)
    story_train.jpg

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  7. Linda Schrier

Linda Schrier Veteran Member
    Registered

In my 40's I was stalked by a woman for 10 years unmercifully. It was a more than a TV movie. It scared the life out of me. She did terrible, unspeakable things to me and even got other's in on it. I have a lifetime restraining order against her. She keeps trying to have it lifted and my lawyer tells her no way, not a chance. I'm 63 now and I am very careful about the people I meet. That is what I would write a book about.

8. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

You are going to write a book from your own experience? I guess that's the best way of writing a book since you know everything. With fiction, you have to remember what you are inventing otherwise your story will have a loophole. At this early, I am already intrigued on knowing who that woman is. Your ex maybe? And to think that a lifetime restraining order is a serious matter then that means that the woman is really a big bother. Well, to commiserate, I'd say that's the problem you get when you are handsome. Hahahaaa.