Have You Ever Said Anything Incredibly Stupid?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Linda Binning, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Linda Binning

Linda Binning Veteran Member
    Registered

Have you ever said anything so incredibly stupid you were shocked it came out of your mouth?

Many years ago, back in the late 60s, I was at one of my SIL's relatives house and her brother came in and said So and So's house and barn had just burned to the ground but everyone had gotten out safely. And I immediately said "Did the land burn up too?" and he looked at me incredulously and said "Yes Linda, there is just a big gaping hole in the ground there now." I wasn't that stupid I have no idea why that came out of my mouth.

I hope I'm not the only one who has done something like this. Come on everyone, make me feel better. :)

2. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Linda when I was starting out as a small claims adjuster, I had a guy who's car was damaged by a shopping cart.

Now, it's usually covered under Collision, since the cart did collide with the car and the deductible is higher.

Sometimes it's covered under Comprehensive, with the lower deductible but the cart has to be pushed into the car by wind and the insured has to see that happen.

So....my guy said the day was very windy and it must have pushed the cart into his vehicle. I asked him if he SAW the wind push it.

He replied, "Honey, I have never seen wind, have you?"

Claim paid!

3. Linda Binning

Linda Binning Veteran Member
    Registered

Ruby, I LOVE it!! :)

4. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

Some background first; there is a Welsh brewery called Brain's. One of our local pubs had some of their beer a year or so ago.

Me: Ooh, Brain's. I've not had their beer for years.
    Partner: I've never had Brain's.

Of course, she realised immediately what she'd said but even now it still causes giggles.

5. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

For some reason I have always had a problem getting the words that I'm thinking to come out of my mouth the way they are supposed to. Sometime I'll say things backwards, or a word that was not intended will come out in place of the correct one.

Forty years ago I was at a Christmas party where everyone was bragging about what they had gotten for their children. That year was a good one, and we had been able to afford to buy each of our children Christmas gifts, so of course I was proud of this. The youngest was Young Michael, and he was always building things, so we purchased him an Erector set. You remember, they were hundreds of little metal strips with nuts and bolts.

Like so many office parties, it got pretty loud, and everyone was trying to be heard. Well of course just like in the movies, just as it was my turn to open my mouth and insert my foot, I did. Just as the words came out of my mouth the office got quiet, and I said, "This Christmas we bought one of our son's an Errection set".

I was mortified.:eek::(:rolleyes:

Linda Binning and Von Jones like this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Actually, I'm not sure about Franks post, but, if Ken doesn't think it was appropriate, he will remove it. If it doesn't get removed, then I think we all could just ignore it. Some of his post was hilarious to me, but "in general".......

Terry Page and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I've said some, ok, more than some, stupid things in my life. Actually, one of the biggest ones was saying "I do" to my ex-wife. At the time it sounded good, but later on, I definitely said to myself "that was a stupid thing to say". Some folks get married for the wrong reasons and that marriage sure had "the wrong reasons"!! (LOL)

Linda Binning and Ruby Begonia like this.
  8. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

Long time ago a relative used to have picnics on Labor Day and we would watch the Jerry Lewis MDA telethon. Some cornball comedian was talking to a kid in a wheelchair, and I said "What an idiot". People gave me dirty looks until I explained I wasn't referring to the child. :(

Linda Binning likes this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

This one still embarrasses me. My oldest grandson has a very good friend who is half Mexican. His parents are great friends of my daughter and son in law. The boy is whiter than white so I tend to forget his background.

While I was talking to them...grandson and the boy, I said something about some politician's wife being Mexican and how it will affect the vote. I didn't mean it to be offensive in any way but then I couldn't stop talking and just made it worse I think.

10. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

It's probably only fair, given that I stitched up my partner in my last post, to admit to one of my own (many) fiascos.

Again, I should provide some background. I was in a bar in Antigua, having spent the day watching cricket. A lot of people, for some reason, liked to listen to the radio commentary while at the game. One of the BBC commentators was a man called Henry Blofeld, who has a very plummy English voice.

I was having a drink with a few people at the bar and we were talking about the day's play and things that had happened. I said about the radios and how I found them a bit annoying, "especially bloody Blofeld," I added.

I happened to glance over my shoulder. Guess who was standing right behind me? Oops.

11. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I won't call myself out but I'll do it to a sibling.

The family was traveling through The Sunshine State, on a very desolate stretch of highway. My oldest sister mused "Some parts of Florida sure are uninhibited."

Well, technically...