Have You Ever Dropped Your Cell Phone / Tablet?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Diane Lane, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

This girl did. The video is pretty popular, in part because she happens to be a dancer for the Miami Heat, and also in part because she dropped it into the ocean in the Bahamas, where she happened to be filming dolphins. One of the dolphins was sweet enough to retrieve the phone for her. http://www.ryot.org/video-flipper-w...he-bottom-of-the-ocean/943858?utm_source=dodo The phone may never work again, but she sure has a great story to tell, and a video to back it up.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

My SIL dropped her cell in the toilet. It went "bubble, bubble" and then died. Once water gets inside the phone, it's pretty much HISTORY. We keep our iPhone info on both our laptop and our desktop computers thru iTunes "Sync". When my last iPhone 4s bit the dust/nothing could be brought up on it, we bought the iPhone 6 for me. I took it home, hooked it up to the desktop, went into iTunes and recovered everything that was on my old 4s. Sure was convenient not to have to remember/enter phones numbers and all the different apps that I had on the 4s. Hit one key and instant upload to my new phone.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I sat on my first Kindle. I liked that one, too. It was one of the older ones, with an actual, as opposed to a virtual, keyboard (albeit small), and real buttons to turn to the next or previous pages. It wasn't good for anything other than as an e-reader but I preferred that to the more modern ones. It also came with it's own connection, which didn't require an external Internet connection.

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I would dread the day when I would drop my cellphone. Although old but not obsolete, this Samsung S3 still serves me well. Besides, it's a gift from a computer vendor and maybe I wouldn't buy an expensive phone like this so I am thankful to the giver until now. With personal things, I make it a point to take good care not because of its market value but more because of its sentimental value to me. That's why people appreciate in giving me gifts because they see that I cherish the gifts.

I have a colleague who breeds pekingese dogs that are really expensive - $1,000 for a puppy, that's a discounted price. But he gave me a pekingese puppy because he knew how I treasure gifts. Unfortunately, that dog died after 8-1/2 years with me due to kidney failure. Now he is offering me another puppy but I declined because I already have 3 dogs. Sorry for the segue.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Diane Lane

Registered

I feel the same way about gifts. It doesn't matter what it is, I will pretty much hold onto it for ages, because I value and appreciate that someone took the time to think about me, and wanted to make me happy. If I know it's a generic re-gift, that doesn't hold true, but other than that, I have held onto quite a few things I've been given, especially from loved ones. He must be a good friend, hold onto him. I've had a few really good friends in my lifetime, and they're worth their weight in gold.

@Ken Anderson What kind of connection did it have, Ken? I still miss my HTC Touch Pro and Touch Pro2. I loved the stylus and slide out keyboard, even though the phones had touchscreens and I primarily used those, I still loved having the option of the slide out keyboard, and the phones felt substantial and high quality.

6. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I had an iPhone5 and would never take it to the pool but a month ago I took it with me because I was expecting an important call. Well, I dropped it in the pool and dove down to get it before it hit bottom but it never recovered. People said to put it in rice. But then it got the "red screen of death". It means there's no recovery at that point. It's a freaky bright red glow.

Apple offered me a new one for $275. Then I went to AT&T because I was due for a free upgrade…but they said, oops, we just dropped all contracts a month ago so it will cost you $450. So guess what? I found a Microsoft Lumina 640 for $80. It's no different from an iPhone as far as I can tell. I really like it!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

They called it Whispernet. Amazon.com discontinued it but it was available in the early model. You couldn't do much with it except connect to the Amazon store, but still it was nice.

Diane Lane likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I have never dropped my iPhone; but I actually would not have to worry if i did drop it. When Robin got it for me, she also got me the Lifeproof case for the phone. The lady at the Verizon store who demonstrated it, took her phone and threw it as hard as she could onto the hard concrete flooring. It bounced a few times, and I was horrified that the phone was rioned; but she showed us that it was fine, and said she threw it all the time to show people just how good the Lifeproof case was.

If my phone fell into the poole, like @Lara Moss' iPhone did, it would have also been fine because the Lifeproof case is completely watertight. Maybe it even floats, so I would not have had to dive in after it....I am not sure about that part.
    In any case, I am always careful with my phone, and even if it did not have the case; it would be fine. But this way, I never have to worry about it, no matter what happened to it.

Diane Lane and Lara Moss like this.
  9. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I heard about that Lifeproof case…after the fact. Sounds like a must for an expensive iPhone but now I have this $80 phone that probably costs less than the case.

Diane Lane likes this.
  10. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a tank of a phone, one of the older LG flip phones that has gone thru the equivalent of a war. It shows the wear on the case, plenty of scratches and marks, yet it still functions and has never needed a repair short of a recent battery change, which in itself is pretty impressive since I bought it back in 2001. I have managed to drop my phone more then once. I have dropped it and the back has popped out, I have dropped it on the wet pavement. One of my biggest concerns, and I have actually done this on accident, is leaving it in the car overnight in the winter. I understand that these phones have a tendency to freeze (The LCD in the screens that is) So far so good. I know I am on borrowed time though.

I think what I like the best is this phone took some pretty decent pictures. Maybe not as good as the Cyber Shot, but still rather impressive for an early phone camera. What I will get next is anyone's guess. Probably just another simple flip phone.

Diane Lane likes this.
  11. Diane Lane

Registered

How much do the cases cost, @Yvonne Smith? I saw someone mention on another forum that they're around $100, which is way too much for my budget. I rarely buy a phone or gadget new these days anyway, but when I did, I always purchased the insurance, as well, because you really never know what is going to happen. I wonder if the Lifeproof case protects a phone that's been run over? Here in the neighborhood that happens a lot. People drop their phones all over the place, and people find them later, looking as if they've been run over.

12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

My daughter got me the iPhone, and she had them put it in the Lifeproof case; so I really do not know how much that it cost, @Diane Lane. If you read that they were around $100, then that is probably right.
    I do not think that any kind of a case is going to protect a phone that has been run over by a vehicle, and probably anyone who has that expensive of a phone and protective case is not going to just lose it out the window of the car and let it get run over in the first place. At least I wouldn't . If anything happens to my phone, I would just be without one; so I am very careful with it, Lifeproof case or not.

Diane Lane likes this.
  13. Diane Lane

Registered

Haha, you don't know the people I live around. They're constantly losing their top of the line phones, bags, wallets, keys, etc., because half of them are high most of the time, or drunk, or both. They drive around in their golf carts stoned, and are always losing things, leaving them at other people's homes, at the beach, etc. I am also very careful of mine, because if anything happens, I'm without mobile internet. The laptop's not working, so the tablet is the only mobile device I have, and I don't even take it out of the house.

14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Cell phone? Yeah, the other day! I dropped an Obama phone on the floor and it flew apart just like the government has. But, I was able to put it all back together and everything is hunky-dory now. Nothing to really talk about I guess.

But, there was a time when I dropped an old crank telephone into the river in order to avoid getting busted by a game warden! Does that count?

Brittany Houser likes this.
  15. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I dropped my tablet, the frame is cracked but it is still working, it is an old tablet that has limited abilities now. My phone is a Samsung mega note which I keep in a case and I very seldom remove the phone from the case.