Have You Done Any Downsizing?

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Marie Mallery, Sep 3, 2021.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

We have some things we no longer use or need so we are getting rid of some things.

Today we brought the bikes to local bike shop and put them on consignment.We have some beds ,desk few other pieces of funrniture we don't need.Also some dishes and cookware we no longer use.

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

That sounds more like cleaning out the junk. Regardless good for you ! I am a minimalist.
    Living with Mr I should save this. But i still work on getting crap out of here. I can almost smell the difference with unneeded ,unused are gone. For instance the hubby has clothes he can not wear for years and chances are will never wear again. I want to get rid of them all ! Plus he is very sentimental on some things takes hi forever to agree to rid ourselves of some things. Things that have broken in the past, that he was going to repair- after three years it is history ! So you go girl get rid of some junk. :p

Yvonne Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  3. Marie Mallery

Registered

Is that a man thing? Because mine has that problem too.
    He wasn't happy about selling the bikes we haven't used in years. Not in a good mood to bike shop. He use make me drive it hurt his back arms outstretched to steer.Now I lost part of my vision so he won't let me drive.'
    He is going down the road and I told him to slow down ,he said I got it! I told him yea but sometimes when he thinks he has got ,I get it!He laughed.
    Anyway he wants to hoard and keep it all. But he is a good one so can't be perfect.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I had very little when I met my wife. Had an older Kawasaki motorcycle that I rode in sunshine and rain. Had rain gear to wear. I rented a room in a condo, so none of the furniture was mine. Only my clothes.

As for my wife, she shared a 2-bedroom apartment with her mom. The only thing she owned was stuff in her bedroom. But, she did have a 10' x 10' storage that was jammed packed with stuff her and ex-husband had in a house they lived in. The storage spot was so full, I could barely get the roll-up door open.

Thru the years, living in Colorado, and then in North Carolina, and then in Florida and now back in Colorado, we have got rid of quite a bit of her old stuff to Goodwill, Salvation Army and garage sales. I remember her telling me once, "When I'm at work, and you find things that are old, and will never be used again, go ahead and take them to the Goodwill or Salvation Army. I don't want to know what you took. You know the kinds of things I mean." So, I done exactly that!

When we sold our house, when we lived here in Colorado before, almost every bit of furniture was sold thru CraigsList. That was in 2007, when sellers trusted buyers much better than today.

We have a whole lot less stuff today than when we met. And, both of us completely know that getting rid of things was for the best.

I wasn't, but my wife was sure a "Pack Rat" type, before I met her. Today, really nothing like that at all.

Marie Mallery and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  5. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

I do not know..maybe a family thing with him They all are pack rats- neat and clean not like a hoarder.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  6. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Good job Cody

7. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I moved from a two bedroom home to a two bedroom 55 plus apartment and then to a one bedroom apartment in asssisted living where I now live. I am still disposing of stuff from prior moves.

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Nope.

9. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I have been to a number of estate sales and some people just can't part with anything. I've seen boxes of 78 records, piles of old magazines now out of print, piles of yellowed newspapers, broken things that should have been tossed years ago, and the like.

10. Marie Mallery

Registered

I have known people like that in my family,my aunt was one. And the older we get the more we need to make room or sell or give way while its still good.

Mary Stetler and Ed Wilson like this.
  11. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

The less mess you leave for your family to go through the better, I think.

12. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

we did....got a smaller place...filled it up...

Marie Mallery and Mary Stetler like this.
  13. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

No, we are BOTH like that. I want to throw all of his stuff away and he wants to throw all of MY stuff away. But both have stuff we want to keep. He has junk mail from 1976 in boxes in the basement, clothes he will never fit into...I have 3 or 4 saddles, only one butt and no horse at the moment. I periodically take a bag or box to the thrift store when I should bring the truck and load it.
    I had an estate sale business in my past so I know how to do them, for other people.
    I also did his mother's estate--needed three dumpsters. Ours will need at least that. We have the farm and his house...

14. Marie Mallery

Registered

I just noticed 'again' the cabinets are wearing and need painting along with rest of house some boards on porch need replacing andd the Heat and Air system has already outlived itself for years now plus vines invading the yard.
    I guess just not worry about everything else going down since we are not exactly peeps ourselves.
    I don't care if he acted like a heathen or not the man can sing and I love his piano playing and this song.Mama ask me to play it all the time when she was passing casset that is of course.This song kinda keeps things in perspective.Beautiful piano solo.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
  15. Marie Mallery

Registered

I thought about that too but hope won't hve to move for awhile but of course who knows?
    I'm stillgoing through things to see what we may not need.