Have We Reached The Point Of No Return?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Frank Sanoica, May 23, 2016.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

The "Information Age" has given humanity heretofore unprecedented access to an unimaginably broad number of categories of human-existence evaluation (IMO). But, how far is too much?

Example. If your vehicle's "Air Bag" warning light remains illuminated (after it's "prove-out" initially, which confirms the lamp works), this might encourage one (I tried it, of course!), to simply unplug the connector powering the lamp. Guess what? SPECIAL connector, has a "shorting feature" which "guarantees" illumination when unplugged, to thwart those aiming to "beat the system". What system?

In 2009 it became Federally Legislated doctrine that certain automotive "trouble codes", formulated and maintained in one's car's computer, be unavailable to the "delete" function.

That's where I'm at. My vehicle tonight can get me nowhere (possible lawsuit in my favor?). The computer has totally disabled the car's ability to run, though the "trouble codes" are very vague: "Throttle Control Actuator Forced Limited Power", "Throttle Control Actuator Stuck Closed", (It isn't. My wife depressed the gas pedal, while I watched the Throttle Plate open and close normally).

We have driven about for several weeks now, frightened by the vicious display of icons on the dash panel, which only reappeared after driving several miles the next time. Evidently, today, the crux of the matter convinced our computer to "lower the boom". We are stuck. Friends coming out in a few weeks, totally dependent on us for transport then. Right now, I can't even transport down to the lot-line gate!
    Frank

Diane Lane and Ike Willis like this.
  2. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I see a market for computer-less (or at least less tech-reliant) vehicles in the future. I miss the days of shade tree mechanics, where many people were able to work on and fix their own or others' vehicles, without having to hook them up to diagnostic machines, for exorbitant fees. I much prefer the idea of an older vehicle without all the bells and whistles, and without the government (or anyone else) being able to access information about where I drive, how often, etc., and without the ability to disable my vehicle remotely or hack into it.

Frank Sanoica and Admin like this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Registered

The largest difficulty I see regarding the automotive system of self-diagnosis is that the poor computer being set-up, "programmed', by it's designers, to detect and evaluate problems, cannot "sort out" the many variables possibly present in a typical running complaint. For example, my latest scan indicated my throttle body's plate was "stuck closed", and "stuck open", both at the same time. Pretty doubtful scenario. So, I'm "winging" it. Gut feel suggests the problem is either with the throttle body itself, or the computer.

And, lo and behold, last night I came across this: "The North Carolina Consumers Council (NCCC) has officially petitioned the National Highway Safety Administration (NHTSA) for a defect investigation of alleged throttle body failures in 2005-2012 Ford Escape vehicles sharing the same or substantially similar part."

"In both complaints, the problem was diagnosed as a failed throttle body, with trouble codes P2111 and P2112 present in the onboard computer system, indicating the electronic throttle actuator control system was stuck open and closed, respectively."

From: https://www.ncconsumer.org/news-art...-investigation-into-ford-escape-vehicles.html

So, I have ordered a new throttle body. My instincts lead me to believe, after disassembling my old T.B., and assessing the possibility of it's being defective, that it is not. Nonetheless, during operation, one has no clue as to the specifics of operating qualities. Stories have reached legend proportion of folks experiencing technical woes with late-model vehicles. They feel shackled by a bureaucratic miasma of lore depicting the "repair function" as having reached near-demonic control. And, it's true, that perfectly usable, serviceable vehicles experiencing technical faults are being assigned to the scrap heaps due to the cost of repairing them.

For those doubtful of "Conspiracy Theory", try to otherwise explain why we are throwing away perfectly good, serviceable vehicles.
    Frank

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

This has to be so frustrating!! I vote for less complicated vehicles; ones that have less codes and ones that don't bother me with warnings over insignificant items that do not require my attention ASAP. Sometimes I think I would rather ride horses and shovel manure than deal with cars.

Ike Willis and Frank Sanoica like this.
  5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Every generation has its own "Informational Age" to deal with. People were always dream of the "car of the future", not realizing what they were wishing for. And now we have reached the age of the "driver-less car"! Serves us right!;) Thank God we never got our wish for "Flying cars"!

I may have missed it, Frank, but what kind of car are you having the trouble with?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

7. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Joe Riley " I may have missed it, Frank, but what kind of car are you having the trouble with?"

It's a 2004 Ford Explorer 4X4. I believe second year using "drive by wire" concept. In the early 2000s one Japanese make experienced a rash of serious malfunctions in which the throttle suddenly went wide open, remaining there, and causing serious accidents. Few would have the knowledge, or presence of mind, to quickly shut off the ignition, if they could get to the key. Not sure I could, though it did happen to me once.

Pickup I bought had been wired to start in any transmission selector lever position. I didn't know it. Thought it was in Neutral, but was actually in Drive, turned key, engine instantly started and the vehicle lurched forward violently, inside my shop. Fortunately, I still had my hand on the key and "killed" it just as it plowed against stored boxes, against the wall.

Joe Riley likes this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know, maybe I'm just not paranoid or I don't worry about theses things but I've never had the kind of problems you're talking about.

My old 1997 Altima didn't have too many bells and whistles but no problems either til the end. My new Chevy Cruze that I got in 2012 has only once had a warning light come on and that was because Pickles put his paw on the (I don't know what it's called) thing that has to do with traction. I couldn't make out what it meant while driving but I pulled over and got my book out and saw that it was nothing, just Pickles touching what he shouldn't. :)

If my car needs repairs, I have to take it to a mechanic since I don't know how to fix it. I also don't care what info they gather off my car as it's not exciting. It will show that I drive a lot of miles back and forth to my daughters' on the coast and that's about it.

I wouldn't care if someone was watching me 24/7, they would soon stop because of boredom.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  9. Amie Ar

Amie Ar Veteran Member
    Registered

This was what I've learned having worked with a computer company who makes business softwares. Please excuse the pun. Computers are the dumbest thing on Earth. Without the aid of the thinking humans they're simply just a piece of junk! That's why some people have tagged computers as GIGO or Garbage in, Garbage out! Whenever the users of the software we customized complains to us why their system don't work the way they should be. I just told them: It was your system, we customized it according to your need. You've attested how we did, tested and executed the process you need. But really some people think computers are the masters and humans adores them so much to the point of making their life depended on it so much. Yes, computers may be highly intelligent than the average human being, but NEVER let it enslave and conquer your lives. Learn to use computers to enhance your knowledge and ease your activity challenges but never let it outsmart you! ;)