Have Any Of You Been Receiving Any Phone Calls About Your Computer?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Babs Hunt, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Though it doesn't happen often I am receiving some phone calls saying something like this: "I am a Windows tech and I believe I am talking to the owner of your computer? I just received another one of these call a few minutes ago. My usual response is just to hang up after these first few sentences, although if I remember right I did say a few things to the caller one time, something like: "If you are a real Windows tech who knows something about my computer then you will know who you are speaking to. Since you don't, I have nothing else to say to you except goodbye. "

I just wondered if anyone else has received any calls like this and if so what was your response. It seems to me that if there is something going on with my computer...my computer will alert me through my email address and no one will call my cell phone number. There are so many scams now days going on...I figure this is one in some way too.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, get them a lot. I tell them I don't have a computer but they just continue with their speel...that's when I hang up.

I don't know if they still call because I quit answering my home phone. Everyone that's important has my cell phone number and that's where they call.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  3. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

They are scams babs ,along with the taxation department ,Centrelink ( welfare payments ) Medicare they are all after your personal details to scam you ....or in the computer scam ,they change your computer settings ( telling you what to,do while you are on the phone with them ) it then gives them access to it ,, then they demand a huge payment to fix it ( I've heard it's about $600 in Australia )

I just seen in the TV 5 minuites ago a email is being sent out claiming to be from the crime task force into scams / crime ..but it's also a scam to get your personal details ,the news report said look at the address the email is from and if its from a Gmail address ,it's a scam

Von Jones likes this.
  4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Yep its a scam . We do not answer phone unless it is someone we know. We do not take surveys or make donations over the phone. Sometimes when I feel evil.:p..i will answer and them play them along...girls just wanna have fun.:D

5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

PS...however that can be dangerous with some if the new scams out there....on some numbers just answering can be a problem:(

6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

We are often getting calls from someone having a strongly Mumbai-ish accent claiming to be calling for Microsoft and asking about our computer. My wife, not being deaf, takes care of them swiftly and efficiently.
    Frank

Von Jones likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I received something similar once. Clearly a scam since I have a Mac. I hang up on people pretty quickly. One call that I get, about five times a day, starts out with a pause, and then there is a recording that begins, "Hello, this is Heather..." and that's where I hang up. I listened longer the first time but I don't remember what it says. When my wife asks who called, I tell her it was Hello, this is Heather.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  8. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a iPad Ken ,and they phone saying there is a problem with my system,as you know Apple don't run Microsoft software .
    The last time the "Taxation Department " phoned he said is that Mrs K ....I said no sorry that's my mother and she's at bingo right now ,( I'm 71 my mother passed away 40 years ago ) well that confused them ..to,start with ..I then gave the phone to my husband ,who led them on and on asking if dental work is still free in prison ( he said he didn't want to pay for upcoming dental work if he was going to in prison soon) for not paying his tax :D
    he asked them about the food ,and a dozen other things before they hung up,on HIM ...

9. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

We get those about Windows about once a month at least when I have answered the phone. My first impression was "I don't understand a word you are saying.":rolleyes: When I am asked by name I asked how they got my number and never get an answer which wasn't the right thing to do with me because I want an answer.:mad: Then there is the desperate caller something is wrong with my computer and they can help me. Yeah, right.:p

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Chrissy Cross likes this.
  10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

My honey likes to answer those phone calls sometimes. This is what he says: "Hello, this is Homeland Security, how can I help you?" Whoever is calling hangs up real fast at these words! :p

Chrissy Cross and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Lol, yeah, it's fun to mess with them sometimes. :)

Frank Sanoica and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  12. Denise Richardson

Denise Richardson Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm gotten the Windows call, the IRS they're going to arrest me if I don't pay my taxes call, and many more but I have blocked them as they came in. I also heard on the news about one where they call and ask a question to make you say "Yes" and then they use your ID and makes purchases in your name. This way they say they had permission. These crooks will do anything! I quit answering any of them. If I don't know the name or number that is calling, I don't answer. That's not safe now because of all the spoofed numbers.

13. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't like these calls either but lately with all the new medical problems and Doctor visits, etc....even our mail in pharmacy, we are ending up with a bunch of new numbers calling us and so I've felt I had to answer most of the calls just to see who it is and then save the important numbers so I will recognize them next time.

It is very sad all the scams going on though...and many of those phone scams are targeting senior citizens. :(

14. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

sounds like they hit us all. windows does not have phone support. there's you're sign. but i have fun with em. i have no start button. what's a URL ??? a virus?? never heard of it :)

15. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Chrissy Cross
    Here's how my friend Bruce messed with them: knowing they were calling on a long-distance line, years back the distance as well as the length of the call were billed to the caller, he set the phone down, off it's "hook", and returned about 15 minutes later to hang up the receiver!
    Frank

Chrissy Cross and Ken Anderson like this.