Has Anyone Traveled To The Grand Canyon?

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Susan Long, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Susan Long

Susan Long Veteran Member
    Registered

This trip is on my 'bucket list' and want to go within the next 5 years.

Richard Paradon likes this.
  2. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

How many other trips do you have on your bucket list? I have not been to the Grand Canyon, but I would like to visit the Grand Canyon so I need to put it on my bucket list. I have Paris, France on my bucket list within 3 years.

Susan Long likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've been near there several times but never stopped. I hope to one day.

Susan Long likes this.
  4. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

While I was living in Arizona, I went there several times. It is amazing how big it is. My grandmother, way back when, actually rode a donkey down to the bottom. I am not sure if they are still available, but she enjoyed herself!

Susan Long likes this.
  5. Susan Long

Susan Long Veteran Member
    Registered

Richard, when I was 15, I probably would have been brave enough to go into the canyon by donkey, but now it would not happen. My donkey/horseback days are non-existent now.

Richard Paradon likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

When I was about 8-9 years old, my folks took their one and only family vacation. We went by train, and i loved every minute of it ! When we got to Denver, we took a special train that went to the Grand Canyon. This would have been around 1953-54, as near as i can remember.
    There were Indians in their native costumes that rode on the train and went through the cars selling their handmade silver and turquoise jewelry. I (of course) enjoyed seeing the real Indians a whole lot more than the jewelry, but my mom bought me a small bracelet.
    Once we got to the Grand Canyon, there were more Indians . Lots more ! They came out with all of the beautiful feather headresses on and performed ceremonial dances for us, near the very edge of the canyon.
    There was a railing (but probably a lot more secure one nowdays) so you didn't fall over, but the views of the canyon were definitely spectacular, and as the sun was setting, you could see the colors change.
    I really wanted to ride one of the donkkeys down to the bottom, but my mom had no intention of riding one, and even less intention of letting me go alone. I am sure they probably would not have allowed that anyway, but I was very disappointed at the time.

7. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

I do not think I'd do it either, but if I were challenged, I probably could not resist! :eek:

Susan Long likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

@Allie Seay has an incredible video of people (I think on mules) and they were either on the trail to the Grand Canyon, or someplace very similar. The video was taken by one of the riders, so you actually feel like you are right there and riding down the canyon. Allie, can you please share that video again, so we can all have a "pretend trip" to the Grand Canyon on the donkey trail ? ?
    The views over the canyon are totally awesome; but you almost feel like you need to hang on when the mule goes around one of the switchbacks in the very narrow trail.

Susan Long likes this.
  9. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

Sadly, no. I've flown over it a couple of times, but never been able to go. I've done a lot of traveling on the East Coast and a little on the West Coast, but not much of the interior of the US.

When I graduated from high school (I was the youngest kid), my parents packed up their van and drove cross country, from Virginia all the way to California and back. They had no itinerary and no time table. Some days they would drive 200 miles, others only 15. They stopped anywhere that caught their fancy. On the way out, they drove down south through Texas and Arizona, on the way back more north. It took them about 6 weeks. I've always wanted to do that.

10. Allie Seay

Allie Seay Veteran Member
    Registered

Hi Yvonne. I've been staying so busy lately that I can't seem to get online very much. Not complaining. I like staying busy, but I do miss my online friends when things alike that. Anyway, I saw this post and looked up the video for you. It really is a good one. I hope it comes through alright.

Sheldon Scott and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Helene Lawson

Helene Lawson Veteran Member
    Registered

I live in Poland, and never really had the opportunity to travel so far, but maybe some day...
    Nothing is impossible. :D

12. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I've been to the Grand Canyon twice since I retired in 2007. I wish I had gone when I was younger and taken the mule ride to the bottom.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

I have never actually seen the Grand Canyon. May not seem like such a big deal except that its actually in my back yard. Well, not technically my back yard, but I live in the state of Arizona which is where the Grand Canyon is located. I have a few family members who have seen it in the past and said it was quite beautiful. In some ways it seem as if it wasn't real it looked like a painting because of how beautiful the mountains were from a distance. Maybe some day I will finally get to see it for myself, I would like to do that having heard about it for most of my life.